To Danni: ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS

by You Know 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

YK, why don't you read other peoples replies, I have already answered your question. Sigh.

I said:

Re the blood thing, I can't help but feel that the OT prohibition on eating blood was mainly for symbolic reasons. If you have ever seen an animal feasting on it's kill with it's muzzle dripping with blood, you can see how repellent the actual drinking of blood would be to most civilised people. I wouldn't fancy a six-some round to dinner if they all tucked into bowls of hot blood as an appetiser. If a bit ran down your chin it would look pretty ghastly too. And the smell...YUK!
    I guess only a barbarian would sit down to physically partake in a blood dinner, which is probably why the Jews were so anti blood consumption. Good manners too.

Of course there would always be some nutty religious dipsticks waiting to hijack some martyrdom points by extending the natural revulsion of eating blood into the quite un-natural prohibition of adapting its live saving qualities via blood transfusion. Eating blood has nothing to do with having a blood transfusion.

Englishman.

There now follows a long period of time from YK in which he will totally ignore what I say, as usual.

• proplog2
    proplog2

It's obvious that You Know can't defend Watchtower teachings. He doesn't even try. Come on YK answer my point that Jesus declared all foods clean. You keep quoting the Mosaic Law. Are you a Pharisee for God's sake? Didn't Jesus take you beyond the Law?

• You Know
    You Know

Proplug:

It's obvious that You Know can't defend Watchtower teachings. He doesn't even try. Come on YK answer my point that Jesus declared all foods clean. You keep quoting the Mosaic Law. Are you a Pharisee for God's sake? Didn't Jesus take you beyond the Law?

It is obvious that you haven't thought this thing through very well. First, Jesus' declaring all foods clean was in regard to foods that could have otherwise been consumed but were forbidden by the Mosaic Law as unclean. However, blood was not forbidden on the grounds that it was unclean; on the contrary, blood was forbidden due to the fact that is was something holy to Jehovah. Furthermore, the laws concerning blood were not dietary laws, as such, but were related to the segment of the Law that had to do with priestly sacrifical rituals using blood. Blood could not be used for anything, not as food, or any other conceivable purpose, but it had to be poured out on the ground and covered with dust, because it belonged to Jehovah God.

Secondly, the prohibition on eating blood superceeded the Mosaic Law, having been given to Noah centuries earlier. It was at the time when Noah emerged from the ark that God declared all foods could serve as food for all mankind----except blood. The Mosaic Law, then, only pertained to the Jews. The rest of mankind were not under those dietary restrictions. So when Christ declared all foods clean, it was in regard to those things which had formerly been outlawed as unclean. So, the Jews were released from the Law and they were free to eat whatever they wanted guilt free---except blood. That's because once the Jews were set free from the Law they were still under the Noachin covenant, which of course said you must not eat blood. No doubt that's why the apostles, when declaring that Christians were not under obligation towards Jewish Law, were inspired to add the caveat---"except these necessary things"----blood being one of the exceptions.

/ You Know

• 4horsemen
    4horsemen

My grandfather owns/lives on a farm in Nebraska. And from visits there and tours he's taken me on at the slaughterhouses and packing plants I can guarantee you this: if you eaten just about any kind of meat that you buy from the frozen section of your local grocery store you HAVE eaten that animals blood. As mentioned only certain meats or special preparations can guard against this. Now what?

I have not read all the posts in this thread but someone asked about DF'ing and marriage. Two thoughts. First, IF the WTBS could withstand the legal pressure of allowing DF'ing to break up a marriage to a 'wordly' person, it'd be a done deal. Second, in the late 80's they came up with some provision that could actually lay the grounds (ie, ease the Witness conscience for ending the marriage) for that very thing. Spiritual endangerment? I forget the wording. I think I still have the article.

Alan you wrote...

"As for JWs being dedicated to do God's will, that's just as big a fiction as the claim of a lot of other religions to do the same. JWs on the whole are in fact mainly dedicated to doing the will of JW leaders, who in turn tell them what they think God's will is. This is exactly the same as other Christian religions do, except that most of them don't think that their leaders are virtually inspired."

Exactly.

I remember this insight from when I was studying philosophy (warned against by the brothers) when I was in college(warned against by the brothers when it was fashionable to be warned against). The argument was should we do what God says is right because A)He is God or B) Because what is said is right? You see the slippery slope. What if God changes his mind?

Unfortunately we have seen this with men. "Imperfect" men to be certain but men nevertheless who claim God's direct guidance. Sad that from 1914 and on lives have be lived in quiet desperation not based on God's will, or "the good news of the Kingdom" but on the musings, interpretations, and "insights" of men.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -Hitler

• proplog2
    proplog2

You Know:

Since you are defending the extraordinary position that asks people to die you ought to do better
    than such a pharisaical position. If you read the scriptures around this verse it says NOTHING
    that goes into a person as food defiles a person. It doesn’t make the exception for blood.
    NOTHING means that even blood taken as nourishment is permitted. Do you understand that
    without qualifying words NOTHING means simply NOTHING. By the way, Jesus cleared the
    way for people to also eat fat. Fat was one of those things Jews weren’t supposed to eat. Lev
    3:17 “This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat
    any FAT or any BLOOD.”

And you still ignorantly invoke the Noachian covenant. A covenant involves an agreement
    between at least two parties. That’s why Jewish boys are Bar Mitzvahed. They become “sons of
    the covenant” by expressing their desire to be subject to the national covenant. I never agreed to
    some Noachian covenant. To say that some covenant that preceded another covenant is
    automatically in effect is quite a bit like the Pharisaical Jewish Christians requiring circumcision
    before they could benefit from the New Covenant. This is where FredFranzism really starts to
    show. Franzism is fascinated with all those intricate rules and regulations the Jews had. His
    obsessive compulsive disorder just couldn’t let such detail go to waste. By the way, when did you
    sign onto the Noachian covenant? What kind of ceremony was it? Did you have to stand out on
    the front lawn under a mist sprinkler with the sun shining at the right angle to produce a rainbow?

Now as to the matter of Acts 15. There are two accounts of what happened there. Did “YOU
    KNOW” that? Open your Bible to Galatians chapter 2. Verse 1 says “then after fourteen years I
    again went up to Jerusalem with Barnabas taking also Titus along with me.” The cross reference
    (a) refers you to Acts 15. Notice that the letter was sent NOT to ALL congregations but
    specifically to the congregation where the problem arose - Antioch, Syria, Cilicia. Paul was not
    impressed with the content of the letter. In fact the only thing Paul mentions from this visit to the
    older men in Jerusalem is summed up in verse Galatians 2:9,10 “the ones who seemed to be
    pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of sharing together that we should go to the nations
    but they to those who are circumcised. Only we should keep the poor in mind.”

Please remember that Galatians chapter 2 reports on the situation in Antioch AFTER the
    circumcision discussion in Jerusalem. Speaking about the arrival of certain men from James
    (probably Judas and Silas) “he (Cephas) used to eat with people of the nations; but when they
    arrived, he went withdrawing and separating himself in fear of those of the circumcised class. The
    rest of the Jews also joined him in putting on this pretense, so that even Barnabas was led along
    with them in their pretense.” Paul rebuked Peter and the others including Barnabas for their
    hypocrisy. So it appears that the problems of a Kosher table persisted even after the letter from
    the Jerusalem congregation was delivered. Officially, gentiles didn’t have to get circumcised but
    they were encouraged to be Kosher so they could have fellow ship with their Jewish brothers.

This was only important in areas where there were a lot of Jewish Christians. Acts 15:21
    Paul was quite willing to explain away the idea that there is something wrong in the eating of food
    that is sacrificed to idols. He makes it clear in 1 Corinthians chapter 8 that it is a matter of
    respecting the conscience of others.

No, You Know, you have not made an argument that indicates you have much understanding of
    the broader issues involved. You, like other Franzians would compell people to live according to
    Jewish pracitce Gal. 2:14...21 Christ died for nothing!

• AlanF
    AlanF

Excellent arguments, proplog!

AlanF

• proplog2
    proplog2

I need to correct one statement. I said a covenant requires the agreement of two parties. The rainbow covenant is about as one sided as a covenant could possibly be. There are no penalties listed. Jehovah merely vows not to repeat what he did at the flood. I am sure Noah remarked "yeah, right". What could he say? I dare you to try that again Jehovah?!

• proplog2
    proplog2

Just checking back to see if You Know posted a rebuttal. Same old You Know. Poor follow through. Needs to work on his Return Visits.

• AlanF
    AlanF

You Know posted a farewell to the board last week.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit