Artists in Societys publications are working under inspiration?

by donny 23 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

I wonder if that angus guy was being sarcastic?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

We don't know how the ancient Romans nailed the hands. The Greek word for "hand" actually doesn't mean the same thing as the English word and could include the wrist, so both options are possible. Putting a nail through the wrist makes sense because there are enough bones in the wrist to hold the nail in place. If you feel the middle of your palm, you can feel it is in the space between two bones. And you can feel your way all the way up past your knuckles to your fingers. So a nail in the middle of the palm, if otherwise unsupported, but if it has to support the weight of the body, could simply rip the hand in half and thus the hands would no longer be supported. That is why it is commonly believed today that the Romans either nailed through the wrists or nailed the palms but wrapped ropes or cloth around the patibulum where the hands were nailed, to hold the hands steady. One fact in favor of the palms being nailed is that there is a key nerve in that location which would cause excruciating pain when severed. But since there are many nerves in the wrist, I'm not sure how much worse that would be than the alternative.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I just remembered a really hilarious example of WT art being taken as the mother's milk: there used to be a lot of questioning and speculation on whether there would be cars, trains, airplanes, etc. (i.e. - modern industrialization) in the new order.

Some WT or Awake came out with a picture of "the new order" showing somebody plowing their field with a 1960s era tractor - so this was hailed as WT proof that there would be cars and such in the new system of things!!!

It got a slap-down of course from the circuit servants when this talk made it around to them.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I remember in the 1970s a student in my math class asking for a 1960s booklet that was mentioned in a list. I forget the title of the booklet but it illustrated, on the cover page, a man holding his hand out to a bird which was about to land on it. It was a typical cartoonish illustration. So I got the booklet and brought it to class. I had this overwhelming fear that the teacher would see me handing it out to my friend and take it out of his hands and then show it to the entire class. So I gave my friend a discreet signal and when the teacher turned his back I hand it to him. As soon as he saw the illustration he almost broke out laughing out loud and had to stifle himself. He quietly said, "Must you Jehovah's Witnesses be so corny?".

Leolaia: With nails alone put through the wrists it is possible to pull out one's wrists from the nail(s). I seem to recall an article somewhere about an the exhumed skeleton of a man who had been crucified (Jerusalem?). One of the nails had been twisted. I forget whether it had been discovered within the hand or wrist area or perhaps fallen out. A twisted nail would make some sense if place through the wrists (or feet) but it would not be worth the trouble if placed through the hands as you could still tear the hand.

In my opinion the ropes were placed so the condemned could carry their patibulum. The ropes would then be left in place. Why bother with nails then? Because with ropes alone there is a small chance of sliding the hands through the ropes. Hence the combination of nails through the wrist and ropes either left in place or added. Either that or twisted nails through the wrist.

villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit