DNA memory

by poopsiecakes 46 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Thats the rub, I suppose. I used to follow the U.S. Navy Seal workout. I was quite good at it. I exceeded all the requirements to join, if I so chose. So where did I get my physical ability from? Genetics, right?

I wish that I could find the thread where we were discussing this subject. I am 99% sure that I was told that you can't pass certain traits to your children. For instance, if a Mr. Universe married a Mrs. Universe, they would necessarily have "Universe" children. Perhaps it has something to do with genetics being a crap-shoot? We could inherit any number of traits from our ancestors in any combination. I don't know. It's confusing to me. Perhaps I should stick to push-ups??

DD

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

This passing on learned reactions has its intreging possiblities. Much more to be learned from science as we unravel these mysteries. So the mystics like Buddha and many other give us a glimps into the deeper workings of the mind and what can happen when we harness the minds processing power over to the blissful side. So much to think about on this one.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

DATA-DOG, the subject we're discussing at the moment, the mouse study, concerns epigenetics, that is, the passing on of the "switched" nature of genes (whether they express or not). It's not related to the general subject of evolution or the subject of which genes are passed on to one's descendants.

Of course we all contain traits from not just our parents, but traits which are found in, say, an uncle or a grandmother which are not evident in our parents. So clearly we are not just a product of the precise traits that our parents possessed, but also other traits which are circulating in our family's gene pool. In that sense we can't expect that two physically exceptional parents will have nothing but exceptional children.

• prologos
    prologos

is this validating (belatedly) the Lysenko experiments? wich tried to--roughly --to learn how to teach kids communism in such a way that they will pass it on to their offspring, and

voila! --these will make that ideology their newly evolved and genetically FIXED life-form?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Apognophos - "In that sense we can't expect that two physically exceptional parents will have nothing but exceptional children."

I dunno; I've heard that "talent skips a generation"...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

"talent skips a generation"...

I think so, according to Mendel research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

Gregor Johann Mendel (20 July 1822 [1] – 6 January 1884) was a German-speaking Moravian [2] scientist and Augustinian friar who gained posthumous fame as the founder of the modern science of genetics. Though farmers had known for centuries that crossbreeding of animals and plants could favor certain desirable traits, Mendel's pea plant experiments conducted between 1856 and 1863 established many of the rules of heredity, now referred to as the laws of Mendelian inheritance.

Mendel worked with seven characteristics of pea plants: plant height, pod shape and color, seed shape and color, and flower position and color. With seed color, he showed that when a yellow pea and a green pea were bred together their offspring plant was always yellow. However, in the next generation of plants, the green peas reappeared at a ratio of 1:3. To explain this phenomenon, Mendel coined the terms “recessive” and “dominant” in reference to certain traits. (In the preceding example, green peas are recessive and yellow peas are dominant.) He published his work in 1866, demonstrating the actions of invisible “factors”—now calledgenes—in providing for visible traits in predictable ways.

The profound significance of Mendel's work was not recognized until the turn of the 20th century (more than three decades later) with the independent rediscovery of these laws. [3] Erich von Tschermak, Hugo de Vries,Carl Correns, and William Jasper Spillman independently verified several of Mendel's experimental findings, ushering in the modern age of genetics.

• erandir
    erandir
    I've often wondered what mechanism explains instinct, which is a kind of genetic memory, in animals, including humans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit