DNA memory

by poopsiecakes 46 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Could it be that the Buddha while getting enlightened experienced his past lives by a brain process of self reflection which was able to read memories stored in his DNA? I think this Neuroscience study offers some food for thought.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25156510

Memories' pass between generations

By James Gallagher Health and science reporter, BBC News

Behaviour can be affected by events in previous generations which have been passed on through a form of genetic memory, animal studies suggest.

Experiments showed that a traumatic event could affect the DNA in sperm and alter the brains and behaviour of subsequent generations.

A Nature Neuroscience study shows mice trained to avoid a smell passed their aversion on to their "grandchildren".

Experts said the results were important for phobia and anxiety research.

The animals were trained to fear a smell similar to cherry blossom.

The team at the Emory University School of Medicine, in the US, then looked at what was happening inside the sperm.

They showed a section of DNA responsible for sensitivity to the cherry blossom scent was made more active in the mice's sperm.

Both the mice's offspring, and their offspring, were "extremely sensitive" to cherry blossom and would avoid the scent, despite never having experienced it in their lives.

Changes in brain structure were also found.

"The experiences of a parent, even before conceiving, markedly influence both structure and function in the nervous system of subsequent generations," the report concluded.

Family affair

The findings provide ......

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v17/n1/abs/nn.3594.html

Parental olfactory experience influences behavior and neural structure in subsequent generations

Using olfactory molecular specificity, we examined the inheritance of parental traumatic exposure, a phenomenon that has been frequently observed, but not understood. We subjected F0 mice to odor fear conditioning before conception and found that subsequently conceived F1 and F2 generations had an increased behavioral sensitivity to the F0-conditioned odor, but not to other odors. When an odor (acetophenone) that activates a known odorant receptor (Olfr151) was used to condition F0 mice, the behavioral sensitivity of the F1 and F2 generations to acetophenone was complemented by an enhanced neuroanatomical representation of the Olfr151 pathway. Bisulfite sequencing of sperm DNA from conditioned F0 males and F1 naive offspring revealed CpG hypomethylation in the Olfr151 gene. In addition, in vitro fertilization, F2 inheritance and cross-fostering revealed that these transgenerational effects are inherited via parental gametes. Our findings provide a framework for addressing how environmental information may be inherited transgenerationally at behavioral, neuroanatomical and epigenetic levels.

Interesting 'God Is In The Neurons' video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_3sIStLkpo

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The finding with the mice is quite fascinating, but I don't think it shows the way to ancestral memory recovery a la "Dune" (or the Buddha, I guess). The usefulness of this short-term adaptability is in avoiding threats and claiming resources in a rapidly-changing environment that traditional evolution cannot keep up with. So we can expect that it will primarily be centered around telling an organism what to do and not to do, rather than encoding entire experiences like "that time we went to the zoo and saw the monkeys".

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yes a sort of survival of the fitest passed on via dna but which may also through mental introspection be read as past live and rebirths due to the tremendous processing power of the brain and be interpeted consciously as past lives.

• frankiespeakin
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Synchrinicity and the holographic universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-r3pW-G5BI

• Terry
    Terry

Has anyone here ever researched or thought about DNA memory? There's a lot of weird, esoteric stuff out there concerning this, like you can somehow access your ancestors' memories.

It is my view certain things can be triggered inside of us which taps into hidden repositories of talent, genius, creativity, etc.

If Bobby Fischer's sister had not gifted him with a chess set at age 9, it is likely he'd never have become World Chess Champion.

If Quincy Jones had not broken into his school with a street gang and wandered into the Music Department and placed his hands

on the keys of a piano to feel a sudden thrill of indescribable "connection," he might have spent his life in prison instead.

How many of us have moments of EPIPHANY, not knowing why what just happened, happened?

I think it is the DNA becoming integrated into a consciousness and connectivity with the past.

I could be wrong, but I've always believed this might be the case.

In my own case, I could tell you two stories of epiphany. But, I won't bore you with it; we've all probably been there.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

I at times wonder what triggers certain reactions in me when I cannot relate them to something specific in my own life. I've assumed that it was "forgotten" memories but maybe it's DNA-related, I never thought about that possibility.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

It makes sense to me that ( hypothetical example here) primates of the past who could better detect the smell of a predator and therefore survive, would pass that ability on to the next generation to some degree.

The experts on JWN have told me that it doesn't work like that. So, for instance, if I developed the skill of running long distances in the next two years, and then my wife became pregnant, that child would be no more likely to be a better runner than if I had sat on a couch for two years. The mouse experiment seems to say otherwise.

Also, I have noticed that nervous parents seem to have nervous children. Is it all just enviroment??

DD

• Terry
    Terry

So, for instance, if I developed the skill of running long distances in the next two years, and then my wife became pregnant, that child would be no more likely to be a better runner than if I had sat on a couch for two years. The mouse experiment seems to say otherwise.

Hang on!

Stop the music!

Let's get everything in sequence.

Do you become a long distance runner without possessing any inherited physical capacity?

Muhammed Ali was physically "perfect" as raw material for becoming a fighter. True he had to train. True he had

to be evaluated in terms of his performance by experts. HOWEVER--without the inherited physical "perfection" and intelligence

for utilizing the training--how far would he go?

People with "no ear for music" will seldom become great musicians. It is a physical component of their incapacity.

Natural mathematicians possess a certain capacity for the firing of neurons and spatial coordination for "seeing" patterns.

Memory experts can learn "tricks" for retaining extraordinary retention--however-- are people with little capacity or "talent"

interested in carrying off amazing demonstrations with a preponderance of natural inclination??

One last example.

Do we really think we simply DECIDE to be attracted to a blonde, brunette, redhead FEMALE instead of a MALE?

It is innately pre-wired. And so is the grayscale of ambiguity for Bisexuals and homosexuals.

Acting upon our innate inclinations is less choice than you might think.

That's my two cents; your mileage may vary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit