Watchtower cleans out Kingdom Hall Library's ...

by RR 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Our KH library has all the old books dating from Russell, including pyramids etc., and is nothing but praised by all users and watchers. My own library has likewise all the old good stuff in multiple, and many elders and COs come to me and ask me to search for things for them and get it at auctions etc for their own libraries, so the sensationalist idea that it is some sort of policy to get rid of this prescious WT heritage is just exactly that - sensationalism and exaggerration probably as usual based upon what one or very few congregations have done and so assuming this is a worldwide experience. "One dub said so, and therefore all millions must say or do likewise - have you heard ......"

• teel
    teel

My KH had no old literature in the library. But then again even the new literature in the library was kept in a closed and locked cabinet, so one had to go to the elders to request something. Didn't see it happen...

After the Kingdom Hall was built we had a large display case featuring literature arranged in a timeline from Russel's age until today. It lasted about a year, then it dissapeared. On retrospect probably a bethelite draw the attention not to advertise the old stuff, someone might ask questions about them.

RR, I envy you

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Should JW's look into older publications?

*** w57 5/15 p. 313 Appreciating Basic Christian Publications ***

Their zeal for knowledge may even prompt them to dig back into things that were published long before they came into the truth, expanding and deepening their understanding, and ever growing in Christian maturity. Do you dig into our older publications to expand and deepen your knowledge on subjects about which questions arise? Have you really studied these earlier publications? How is your background of knowledge? Never think: "Oh, I know most of that." For you will find, indeed, that you do not and that you will be strengthened by your additional study...once you have completed your study of them you can then look to even older publications. Only by studying earlier publications and digging back through previous issues of The Watchtower kept in the library at your local Kingdom Hall. There is much in the way of spiritual riches and aid toward mature knowledge in these earlier publications, and their study is most certainly worth your time."

*** km 11/02 p. 2 Very Good Reading! ***

Would you not agree that the following titles of past Watchtower articles sound like very good reading?

“God Knows and Protects His Own”

“Progress Toward Taming the Tongue”

“When Christianity Went Underground”

“Preaching Effectively at the Doors”

“Answering the Question, Are You Saved?”

These articles and scores of others appeared in The Watchtower during the years 1951 and 1952. Are they too old for us to benefit from them now? Far from it! You can still obtain Watchtower bound volumes in English for the years 1951 and 1952. (Some English bound volumes for the years 1953 through 1959 are also available.) Any publishers who desire these Watchtower bound volumes may now request them through the congregation literature servant.

The Theocratic Ministry School overseer should check to see if any bound volumes are missing from the Kingdom Hall library and order accordingly.

*** be p. 31 par. 3 Study Is Rewarding ***

In addition to this, some have wisely invested time in studying some of our Christian publications that were printed prior to their learning the truth.

• leo999
    leo999

This is an interesting thread . Our KH was extended and remodeled about 18 months ago , and since we were moving house a year before this , we donated a huge amount of bound volumns , older big books to be used in the new library . There had been a small library before in a cramped box room , so we asked that the books/ volumns we donated would be put on display for the studies and people that did not possess a computer and CDRoms. Interestingly ,there were a few years of Awakes Bound Volumns in the 70's that we never could get despite ordering them several times they never came . Did they run out maybe ?

However , 18 months ok there is still no library and we have been told that the library books are now stored in the attic roofspace ! So nobody has access to them now .I am thinking that maybe there has been something quietly said .....

• designs
    designs

Different Departments in Bethel send out different messages.

• Titus
    Titus

Many things are written, but even more things is just said.

I know that our KH library benefits nobody, because nobody uses it. Even our bethel library is just for decoration.

Does anybody here know where I can find old Golden Age/Consolation/Awake magazines in PDF?

I try to find complete years, not just some issues. And, yeah, I don't wanna buy it from ResearchApplicationsInc...

Does anybody know where I can find it for free? Thanks!

TITUS

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I'll tell you another good way they would get rid of old light...Remember when the would have as the monthly offer 'any 192pg book published before...?'

That was a classic way to get rid of books cause you had eager dubs looking to clean out the cupboard and would leave those old books with anyone who looked at them twice.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I agree with TOH on this one. It must have been localized because in several congregations spanning multiple states in the US, I have seen KH library's with at the very least some of the Rutherford era stuff and usually the Russell era pubs like old WTs & Study in the Scriptures.

I know some KH's have limited library space (they one I currently attend fits into that category) and in that case usually the newer stuff is displayed.

If they were smart, they would purge all the old stuff because I've read some of it and it makes the new stuff look sane.

• Mary
    Mary
    I recall boxes and boxes of books, tracts, booklets being put into cars and being hauled off to Brooklyn. I specifically remember the letter emphasizing the need of Russell/Rutherford era literature. I later found out that the Society had a bonfire with the books. Randy Watters verified it for me many years ago.

Reminds me of the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where the Nazis are burning all the 'undesirable books' that don't measure up to the Third Reich.

Isn't is funny how on one hand, the Organization doesn't want anyone looking too closely at what Russell or Rutherfraud wrote in days gone by because virtually none of it is taught today and weird things like the Pyramidology that Russell was heavily into would be considered "demonic" by the Borg's standards today. Yet at the same time, both Russell and Rutherfraud are still mentioned frequently in books like the Revelation Climax book as being the means to which Jehovah 'reintroduced true Christianity' to the world and it was only through them that Jesus supposedly appointed a 'faithful and discreet slave.'

I've got 3 of the Studies in the Scriptures from the late 1800s and a ton of books and booklets that Rutherfraud wrote.....I'm sure the guy must have been pissed out of his gourd when he wrote most of that shit......

• blondie
    blondie

I never heard about this and I was an adult jw in the 1960's. In fact the 12 congregations in this area that existed back then or had older jws from then have libraries that include the studies in the scriptures, watchtowers back to the 1910's, all rutherford's books, etc. Every time I hear this I wonder if somehow that letter never reached our area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit