Is Smoking Pot Harmful?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• recovering
    recovering

I used pot in college (like many others) . As I matured I stopped using it. I would like to caution everyone,Marijuana like any other drug does have side effects. I have listed them below in the interest of full disclosure.

What are the short-term effects of Marijuana use?

The short-term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch); difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate, anxiety, and panic attacks.
    THC in marijuana is strongly absorbed by fatty tissues in various organs. Generally, traces of THC can be detected by standard urine testing methods several days after a smoking session. In heavy chronic users, traces can sometimes be detected for weeks after they have stopped using marijuana.

What are the long-term effects of Marijuana use?

People who smoke marijuana often have the same respiratory problems as cigarette smokers. These individuals may have daily cough and phlegm, symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds. They are also at greater risk of getting lung infections like pneumonia. Marijuana contains some of the same, and sometimes even more, of the cancer-causing chemicals found in cigarette smoke.

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

Marijuana affects memory, judgment and perception. Learning and attention skills are impaired among people who use it heavily. Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who use marijuana have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.

Effects on Pregnancy

Any drug of abuse can affect a mother's health during Some studies have found that babies born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy were smaller than those born to mothers who did not use the drug. In general, smaller babies are more likely to develop health problems.
    A nursing mother who uses marijuana passes some of the THC to the baby in her breast milk. Research indicates that the use by a mother during the first month of breast-feeding can impair the infant's motor development.

Addictive Potential

A drug is addicting if it causes compulsive, uncontrollable drug craving, seeking, and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences.
    While not everyone who uses marijuana becomes addicted, when a user begins to seek out and take the drug compulsively, that person is said to be dependent or addicted to the drug.
    Some frequent, heavy users develop a tolerance for it. Tolerance means that the user needs larger doses of the drug to get the same desired results that he or she used to get from smaller amounts.

• spawn
    spawn

If you don't want to smoke pot cook in brownies that way you get stoned and can eat chocolate at the same time.

• minimus
    minimus

Well, booze can be a problem too. Moderation is good.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Well, booze can be a problem too. Moderation is good.

My problem with booze is my consumption is too well moderated - You who you are more PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

• spawn
    spawn

My problem with booze

I don't have a problem with the golden Ale as the man is going back to work soon so the Cup will Runneth over once more very soon,

Watc This Space

• restrangled
    restrangled

I have no idea, never could stand the stuff. Tried smoking it twice and became a nerve wracked idiot.

No hungries, or laughter, just unending nerves, and paranoia till it wore off. (Never tried any drugs after that).....perhaps a good thing for me.

r.

• hoser
    hoser

Of course they're harmful. Don't you know that after the first toke on a doobie you invoke the evil spirits and Jehovahs spirit doesn't protect you no more. pharmaki'a=spiritism and easy prey for the demons

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I used to smoke a lot when I was a teenager but quit when I bought my first motorcycle. I quickly learned the two didn't mix well.

W

• Twitch
    Twitch

Any drug taken in excess is harmful but ounce for ounce, I'd say alcohol is far more dangerous. relatively speaking. I've seen more destructive things done because of alcohol than pot; it brings out the worst in people.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I was smoking a lot of it when I got involved with the Watchtower so I would have to say it is harmful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit