Is Smoking Pot Harmful?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I've tried it...don't have a real hankering for it most of the time. One time I got a good buzz, most other times it just made me sleepy. I think it depends on the quality of the stuff as to how well you get stoned...or not. I have a friend who gets some good stuff. His was the one that really worked, but I tend to decline when offered. I much prefer alcohol as my favorite poison.

Despite my not really caring for pot one way or the other, I tend to think of it in terms the same as alcohol. A little bit once in a while shouldn't cause any lasting harm. I think it should be legalized and treated like booze or tobacco. Tax it. It would also give tobacco farmers a new crop since tobacco farming isn't as lucrative as it once was.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Just don't drink the bong water..

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

shamus- Do you really feel it's not the least bit helpful, to anyone?

recovering- Can we please have some sources? There's a lot of very strong statements you made that definitely need something to back them up.

Personally, I feel that it's far safer than alcohol in large amounts. You can literally smoke pounds of weed without effect, but the same amount of alcohol would definitely catch up to you very quickly. There's a ton of myths and misconceptions about weed, and all the propaganda doesn't help. It should be legalized and people should be allowed to choose to use it responsibly, the same as you do with alcohol.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

Also, if you are using it to help with depression/anxiety, I also feel it's MUCH safer than anti-depressants. I was on Zoloft for a while, smoking even a couple of times a week does much more for me without any of the terrible side effects I was going through.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am more worried about tobacco and alcohol. Though driving while smoking tobacco is less dangerous than driving under the influence of pot

• shamus100
    shamus100

Also, if you are using it to help with depression/anxiety, I also feel it's MUCH safer than anti-depressants.

Well, let me start with what pot really does positive.

It helps cancer patients with pain, and appetite. It works wonders, and I fully support it's use medicinally. In fact, I do not oppose it's use recreationally as long as you can actually function as a human being and have your life together. That includes being a family man, and having a clean house, not sitting around watching the Simpsons.

Does it help depression / anxiety? Good point. The simple answer is NO. Temporarially it may do so, however, it's long-term effects cause anxiety and depression. So you're going to get off Zoloft (which incidentally, studies have shown all AD's eventually lose effectivness and CAUSE depression) to go to pot. You're probably in for a big suprise there, my friend when it happens. And believe me, it will. Then you will be on to some other AD's, or just be an emotional wreck for a long, long time until you can reach out for help.

Or you can reach out for help right now. What are you doing about your depression? Did the doctor prescribe you Zoloft and kick your butt to the curb? You will probably never beat this thing without some form of counselling. And message boards - this is NOT counselling. Not by a long shot. The only person that I know here that is one is Lady Lee, and she doesn't do it for free, nor even offer her services here as far as I know.

Smoking pot to curb depression is a slippery slope and I don't want you to head down it like I did. That's why I don't smoke it, and will never smoke it again until I'm 80. And I still say if you smoke it, turn your brain off and turn into an 80 year old, because you aren't going to learn a damned thing if you keep smoking it.

Just one monkey's opinion, and persona life experience with depression and pot.

ILTFS - you have a PM.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Stilla,

I used to be a very heavy pot smoker but no longer use it. I would smoke blunt after bunt of some the most potent MJ while driving all day. My driving was much better while stoned than when I wasn't. The only problem I had was missing my exists or forgeting my directions(short term memory loss).

Maybe because I smoked so much all the time(I was growing the stuff and had plenty) I was able to actually drive better.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

shamus100- It's been over a year and a half since I quit the Zoloft, and believe me, I have definitely been much better off without it. I didn't "leave Zoloft to go to pot". I weaned myself off Zoloft and learned to deal with things, and quite a few months later tried weed for the first time. I didn't start smoking to help with depression/anxiety, though, it was just something I noticed afterwards.

I am planning on counseling, when I'm able to do so. I have had counseling in the past, also, and I'm not trying to replace that with message boards. With my current financial state, I can't really afford much more than this. Like you said, it's not free. Anyway, I'm sorry you had the experience you did, but I've known many, many people who have said exactly the opposite of what you said, and my own experience has shown very differently.

For the record- since I've been smoking, I've learned more than I ever have in my life. I'm able to think and focus and take stuff in. Brains work differently, and we're different people. I think, judging from my past experience, that I won't have a problem with never learning again. I've known many others who have had the same experience in this regard, too.

Incidentally, it was also because of MJ that I started to realize the truth about the WTS, too.

• recovering
    recovering

here is where i got my info from. I quoted it word for word.

this website is an online reference for all medications and not a drug abuse website

http://www.drugs.com/marijuana.html

• shamus100
    shamus100

ILTF,

I guess you're like the many, many, MANY JW'S that have depression cured by getting to the root of your depression, namely, leaving a cult. That's what happened to me too!

Pot is a lot of fun. I just hope that you don't find yourself a chronic user (i.e. every day) and start getting paranoid / depressed again. But as you said, and I fully agree with, drugs affect people differently. There is a friend of mine who smokes pot a few days a week and is extremely successful. They are out there, they're just not that norm.

Take care.

P.S. Good for you for getting some counselling leaving this cult, or planning on it. You sound like someone who is taking charge of your life, and that's what a lot of people need here. It helped me immensely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit