GETTING SUCKED IN? Ask the right questions to get the right answers.

by Terry 145 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry
    Perry, it doesn't matter what I accept or reject since YOUR ACCEPTANCE is what we are discussing. So, get over it!

Relax Terry. If you are an atheist, none of this even matters. It should simply be an academic exercise. But just to clear one thing up, I am a little surprised that you believe that our discussions are about "My acceptance" of something. I thought we were discussing logic...our logic, biblical logic etc.

At any rate, I see nothing to change my view and characterizations above of YOUR logic. I'll now turn my attention to the manuscript issues you have raised, because they are important.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

interesting decussion here...

• Terry
    Terry

Relax Terry. If you are an atheist, none of this even matters. It should simply be an academic exercise. But just to clear one thing up, I am a little surprised that you believe that our discussions are about "My acceptance" of something. I thought we were discussing logic...our logic, biblical logic etc.

Perry, I'm not Atheist. I use to be Agnostic. I now take the position that we cannot know anything about God which is verifiable.

Once people start believing they really know something about God they start by defending that view and making others wrong.

That is "blowback" and results in collatoral damage to everybody.

I'm more like Edward Scissorhands taking the shears to the neighborhood hedges crafting them into artistic shapes.

Or, better still, Socrates (except I don't corrupt young boys!) procaliming that the only thing I know is that I don't know anything.

This gives me a freehand to question others about what they think they know and believe.

You are a highly visible target!

• Perry
    Perry

Terry you are by far one of the more honest posters here. For that, I salute you.

I now take the position that we cannot know anything about God which is verifiable.

Of course born again Christians are going to tell you otherwise.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry you are by far one of the more honest posters here. For that, I salute you.

I now take the position that we cannot know anything about God which is verifiable.

Of course born again Christians are going to tell you otherwise.

Perry,

What is positive about a preoccupation with God (in my view) is that it represents a purity of thought and practice as an ideal which is embodied

in a benevolent Being concerned about the welfare of lesser creatures.

The pity about Religion is that it fractures God into a dichotomy of For and Against orthodoxies splitting us up into camps ready to tear apart

the "other".

Critical thinking is only rational when it brings about choices that build, improve and encourage a long life well-lived.

If Atheists, agnostics and believers could focus on the upbuilding actions we humans can engage in to bring about a benevolent society we'd all be better off.

Let's face it, it is a more "natural" impulse to blame, scapegoat and criticize the "other" than to chip in and build something positive with the "enemy".

What you experienced in your contact with the God is either wonderful for you and your family and others or it isn't. You are in a position to know that, I'm not. I'm sure you are sincere.

You and I are more alike in some ways than we are different.

The question is: are we effective?

I don't think I am. I want to question things carved in stone and get people to consider being able to RE-consider the "given" in their life the way I have. If they don't, that's okay too.

You, on the other hand, have your own methodology. Is it effective? I don't know.

I try to base my views on SOMETHING rather than a feeling. If that is foolish I'll experience an empty and value-less result and I'll just have to live with that.

Peace unto you, Perry. That's the best I can wish.

• superpunk
    superpunk

This really is a good thread, I'm glad it came back to life. Definitions seem to be the problem here. Has a christian out there somewhere ever thought about putting out a dictionary with christian meanings, because the meaning of words that I am used to apparently don't fit in that world.

It would be a pointless endeavor. The 30,000 branches of Christianity exist for the very reason that they cannot come to an agreement among themselves on the definitions of these Christian concepts, and they don't appear to be even slightly embarassed by it.

• Perry
    Perry

Definitions seem to be the problem here. Has a christian out there somewhere ever thought about putting out a dictionary with christian meanings,

Yes, it's called the King Jame Bible. Haven't you heard? It is based on over 99% of all ancient manuscripts. Modern versions are based on the occultists Westcott and Hort and on only 1% of ancient texts. The 1% heretical texts differ among themselves nearly as much as they do with the majority texts.

The 30,000 branches of Christianity exist for the very reason that they cannot come to an agreement among themselves on the definitions of these Christian concepts

That is the Watchtower position. Perhaps take another look? And if you take the KJV (Received Text) bible the authoratative text book, you'll have no problem with definitions. And by the way, what is wrong with branches of Christianity? The New Testament (Contract) is between Jesus and individuals, not congregations. There is vast unity among the different branches that accept Christ as sole Mediator and his blood the sole justifier. Everyone else is a cult, many times characterized by uniformity. What could be easier to understand than that?

• superpunk
    superpunk

And if you take the KJV (Received Text) bible the authoratative text book, you'll have no problem with definitions.

Who deemed it authoritative?

And by the way, what is wrong with branches of Christianity? The New Testament (Contract) is between Jesus and individuals, not congregations. There is vast unity among the different branches that accept Christ as sole Mediator and his blood the sole justifier.

There is also vast disunity among the branches, on many of the most core doctrines of Christianity. Definitions will vary - any attempt to nail them down in some encyclopedia wouls be futile.

• Perry
    Perry

There is also vast disunity among the branches, on many of the most core doctrines of Christianity.

Superpunk,

Ther is only one doctrine that will save a person from judgment....like I mentioned above. What on earth are you talking about?

• superpunk
    superpunk

I'm talking about what startingover asked - what I responded to in the first place.

Definitions seem to be the problem here. Has a christian out there somewhere ever thought about putting out a dictionary with christian meanings,

That would deal with alot more than one doctrine.

No thoughts on who deemed the KJV authoritative?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit