Chalam

by yadda yadda 2 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hey, whatever happened to Yadda?

He had enough of the scripture ;)

But I do agree that a commentary on that passage wouldn't hurt either.

In the JW/exJW realm I err on letting the bible speak for itself.

I think JWs have had a lifetime of "commentary" and actually the text needs to speak.

Also, most JWs have heard very little from the Commentator, the Holy Spirit so I try and point them in the right direction and let Him do the talking John 15:26 John 14:26

Blessings,

Stephen

• minimus
    minimus

Chalam, I notice you are mixing it up a bit more.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Chalam is a Christian gentleman.

Sylvia

• Chalam
    Chalam

Thanks minimus :)

1 Corinthians 10:33 (English Standard Version)

33 just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

Blessings, Stephen

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Chalam, Deputy Dog

Wow! This could have come right out of the "Knowledge book". Is this how he thinks salvation comes? Did he think it was the "taking in of knowledge", or having the correct understanding, that causes salvation? Is that what it means to him, to be "born again"?

So I'd like to know what has changed? He was a humanist and a moralist as a JW, as a Christian, and now, as what ever he calls himself today.

Erm I can hear you DD!

I was a moralist as a JW? WTF!

The essay is not a testimony it is a look at the history of the WT teaching of the ransom as compared to the gospel, of course it sounds like something out the knowledge book, it was supposed to appeal to witnesses.

As I said I don't mind how you judge my previous life as a christian but I will just say very briefly that it was not an intellectual exercise.

In a nutshell I worshiped and adored Jesus from the moment I realised that Jesus do not die for Adam's sins but was crucified for my sins. I ceased to be a slave and became a son - excuse me if I can no longer muster the enthusiasm to gush about how awesome it all was, but at the time it really was.

Having experienced the WT, the evangelical church, and the experience of leaving both, I remain convinced that the difference is one of style rather than substance.

I believe that moving from the WT to the church is akin to releasing a lion from a cage into a large enclosure; its still not freedom but it does seem safe and familiar.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello cofty,

Having experienced the WT, the evangelical church, and the experience of leaving both, I remain convinced that the difference is one of style rather than substance.

How come I am free to visit a "kingdom hall" any time I like but they could never visit my church?

To me, the difference is night and day.

John 3:19-20 (New International Version)

19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

Blessings,

Stephen

• cofty
    cofty
    How come I am free to visit a "kingdom hall" any time I like but they could never visit my church?

That is a matter of style not substance - there are degrees of control in all religions. The borg is mega-controlling and exclusive other churches less so. (Lion/cage/enclosure)

Every group has a body of dogma that must be defended.

Every group depends on the individual surrendering their freedom of thought to a greater or lesser extent. The similarities are far greater than you imagine, I only realised in retrospect

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit