The upside of atheism

by paul from cleveland 128 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Do you believe that all of them *might* exist, or do you believe that 9,999 of them do not exist but one of them - the one your parents taught you about - *might* exist?

Besty, I just think there is probably "something" rather than "nothing" but I can't prove anything. We're both not 100% sure so we both believe in some form of Agnosticism.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

The "evidence" of God is all around us, what more is needed?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

The upside of atheism for me is the satisfaction of not believing in something for which there is no objective evidence, and not believing in something simply because social pressures tell me I should.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

People that believe that there is no God, or that believe that God is wicked and destructive and therefore should not be obeyed, tend to act without regard for God. Without God, they answer only to society and themselves. When they answer to themselves and society instead of a "higher cause", they tend to make better (and usually quicker) decisions. And, if they make a bad decision, they can reverse it more quickly without having to appeal to some Almighty God that is only going to confuse them even worse.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Is there an upside to 4+4 equaling 8? It just is.

You forget, 4 is like a thousand years to god. You only assume 4 + 4 equals 8--it could be 4 + 4 equals a senior citizen discount at the Sizzler.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    it could be 4 + 4 equals a senior citizen discount at the Sizzler.

No, no, no.. you're math is all backwards. You have to be 50,000 or older to qualify for the senior discount at God's Sizzler (be aware, not all resturants offer the 50k+ discount since Sizzler filed for chapter 11 in 1996).

- Lime

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Oh boy, I have to go to work now but I am definitely coming back to this one! Paul, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your are genuine rather than just a pot stirrer . . . .

Later

• cofty
    cofty
    The "evidence" of God is all around us, what more is needed? - Sam Whiskey

I was worried you were serious for a moment then I noticed you put "evidence" in quotation marks. You almost had me there

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

paul from cleveland

Some excellent posts to your interesting thread...

Being a Scottish Humanist and atheist - my belief is that there is 'probably no god'. For me, this is an uplifting experience. Why not find out more about what Humanists believe and find out more about this ethical, moral stance that liberates the individual from the huge guilt, 'eternal reward sort of stuff that most religious people use to fill a 'spiritual void'?

lifelong humanist

• pixiesticks
    pixiesticks

It's impossible to prove for certain, without any doubt, that there isn't a being or force of supernatural power out there. We have no way of knowing for sure and lack of evidence isn't solid proof against an idea, so I think most Atheists would certainly be open to the possiblity of such a being if evidence were to emmerge. We would be prepared to re-evalutate our thinking based on new evidence.

What I find completely impossible is the idea of a personal, perfect, omnipotent God of any kind. One that created the entire universe in 6 days (or even 6000 years) and is more concerned with what we do with our private parts than the suffering of the humans he supposedly created. I find that there is sufficient evidence against the idea that I'm able to confidently reject it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit