The upside of atheism

by paul from cleveland 128 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I guess it was Gnosticism that I didn't understand after all.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Besty, I think I like you. I mean I usually agree with you, but your delivery is kinda scary.

Hugs! (sarcasm, cuz you are probably one of those Brits who thinks blabby over affectionate Americans are silly)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm an atheist.

What I like most about it is the way people wobble and fall down when I say, "I'm an atheist," as though the non-euclidian space-time of R'lyeh was suddenly made manifest.

I will tell you a secret, though: I'm not a practicing atheist.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Paul from Cleveland confessed before the congregation, "I know what I am now. I'm an Agnostic Theist."

I'll bet you a nickle right now that you are far more atheist than you susupect or perhaps even admit to yourself.

For the sake of argument, let's say that the many religions practiced on this planet worship ten-thousand gods.

Do you believe that all of them *might* exist, or do you believe that 9,999 of them do not exist but one of them - the one your parents taught you about - *might* exist?

If so, you are 1/10,000 th agnostic and 9,999/10,000 ths atheist. You owe me 5ยข, pal.

Now, about that one...

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Atheism usually relates also to humanism as personal direction

A brief explanation of humanism from Wiki

Humanism sets man at the center, giving humans primary importance. It is a perspective common to a wide range of ethical stances that attaches importance to human dignity, concerns, and capabilities, particularly rationality . Although the word has many senses, its current philosophical meaning comes into focus when contrasted to the supernatural or to appeals to authority . [1] [2] Since the nineteenth century, humanism has been associated with an anti-clericalism inherited from the eighteenth-century Enlightenment philosophes. Twenty-first century Humanism tends to strongly endorse human rights , including reproductive rights , gender equality , social justice , and the separation of church and state . The term covers organized non-theistic religions , secular humanism , and a humanistic life stance . [3]

Secular humanism is a humanist philosophy that espouses reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects supernatural and religious dogma as the basis of morality and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance that focuses on the way human beings can lead good, happy and functional lives.

The term "secular humanism" was coined in the 20th century, and was adopted by non-religious humanists in order to make a clear distinction from "religious humanism". Secular humanism is also called "scientific humanism". Biologist E. O. Wilson claimed it to be "the only worldview compatible with science's growing knowledge of the real world and the laws of nature". [1]

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I am an atheist, but not a gnostic atheist. I know many other atheists and none are gnostic atheists, either. Most of us define ourselves as simply someone who lacks any theistic belief. I do not believe most atheists think they know for certain that god(s) do not exist.

I'm an agnostic atheist. As someone said earlier in the threat, it's all semantics.

• doublelife
    doublelife

HintofLime, I like that chart. I didn't understand the difference between atheist, agnostic, and gnostic. Now I finally understand.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Do you believe that all of them *might* exist, or do you believe that 9,999 of them do not exist but one of them - the one your parents taught you about - *might* exist?

I don't know. I'm an Agnostic Theist. I can't prove I'm right.

• besty
    besty
    Hugs! (sarcasm, cuz you are probably one of those Brits who thinks blabby over affectionate Americans are silly)

hehehe - i love my blabby over affectionate American friends - its the stupid Americans I only meet on JWN that irk me - my offline life has a pretty effective 'stupid' filter.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    its the stupid Americans I only meet on JWN that irk me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit