Are there any hunters on this forum? Can you help me?

by Robdar 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Villabolo: Do you have pranksters in the family?

Yeah, we do. I'm the prankster. And you've just given me a great idea! Thank you very much.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Goshawk: what kind of track is closest to to the one you saw.

Very similar to the cyote except bigger and only three toes. We do have cyotes reported in Johnson County, Kansas which is just across the border and south.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Cameo-d: Could it be two- toed and a dew claw? How deep was the snow? Did all three toes sink to same depth?

I don't think it was a dew claw. The toes splayed outward not backward. The snow is almost a foot deep. Yes, all three toes sank to the same depth.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Outlaw: Probably Dog Prints.. For some reason all toes don`t show up in snow..

I thought about a dog but saw dog prints also. The dog tracks were much smaller.

• TD
    TD

Wolves sometimes have the two middle toes fused

• Robdar
    Robdar

Nathan: Tracks in snow can rapidly enlarge even in below-freezing temps to create the impression of a much larger animal. Snow can sublime directly into water vapor. If it was clear and sunny, the process could occur quite rapidly.

It was the first warm day in about 2 weeks. The sun was out and it got up to about 26 degrees by 1630 hours.

Nathan: On the other hand, there's snipe and Chupacabras, greys, deros and yetis. Scientologists don't leave footprints in the snow.

LOL!! Yet another reason why you are one of my favorite resident smart asses!

• Robdar
    Robdar

JeffT: Could you see marks from claws? How far apart were the tracks, both in the direction of travel and from side to side. Is there water in the area? How big are the woods? How close together are the houses?

Yes, there were claw marks. I do not know how far apart the tracks were but they went across his yard. Yes, there is water in the area and patches of wooded areas around the houses and bigger patches of wooded area only a couple of blocks away. The houses all have a good amount of property.

JeffT: There are a lot of possibilites, not all of them obvious. Don't rule out non-native species. Every once in awhile somebody around here starts screaming that they saw a ten foot alligator in a lake. When caught it turns out to be a three foot cayman that some idiot kept as a pet until it outgrew his bathtub.

Now you are freaking me out.

JeffT: More questions, were the tacks in a line (like taking a field sobriety test) or was there clear definition between right and left sides, or for that matter front and back. Were the toes short and fat or long and skinny? Going into or out of the woods?

Clear definition between right and left sides. Both sides had 3 toes. Toes were long and fat going towards the woods.

• Robdar
    Robdar

BTS: We have lots of armadilloes down here. Do they live as far north as Kansas City?

We have armadilloes in south Missouri. I have never seen one as far north as Kansas City.

BTS: You saw an armadillo track. The middle 3 toes are on the back feet are very prominent, and the two outer toes could easily be missed.

If it was an armadillo, that was one monster armadillo!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Restrangled: Sorry,...Happy to say you aren't able to identify and kill.

Oh, I can just see my urban ass out there hunting and killing--NOT. Being the local "ellie mae" I doubt I would ever purposefully kill an animal except to protect myself or others. .

• Robdar
    Robdar

TD: Wolves sometimes have the two middle toes fused

For real? Or, are you just shitting me along? LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit