Are there any hunters on this forum? Can you help me?

by Robdar 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

There is about a foot of snow on the ground in the Kansas City area. I was at my son's house on Sunday and decided to go out a side door to get to my car. When I opened the door I noticed some very strange animal tracks. The tracks consisted of a pad print and three toes. They were HUGE! Whatever it was, that critter had some big paws.

I have never seen these sort of tracks before and have been on line researching. The only thing I can find with 3 toes is fowl but birds do not have padded paws, and judging by the size of the pads and toes, there is no way this thing could have been a bird. It would take a bird the size of an emu to leave tracks as big as this. Besides, emus are not native.

My son does not live in KC proper but in a wooded subdivision and I am sure there are lots of wild life around his house.

I thought about bears, looked up bear tracks on line and it wasn't a bear. I looked up mountain lions, and it was not a mountain lion. It wasn't a dog. I do not know what the hell it was but it's got me spooked.

I did not have a camera with me and so cannot post a picture of the paw prints. I was hoping we had hunters or wild life lovers that might can help me out with this.

Any suggestions as to what would leave HUGE 3 toed pad prints in the snow? If so, could you tell me what it's habits are and if it will eat us?

Thanks!

• dissed
    dissed

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the T Rex or a V Raptor. But knowing they only live on an island off the coast of Costa Rica and that they don't do well in the cold I would suspect something along the Mammal line.

Three toed German Sheperd???

• dig692
    dig692

The only 3 toed mammal that comes to mind is a sloth, but I'm pretty sure they only live in tropical climates...unless its Sid from Ice Age

• villabolo
    villabolo

Do you have pranksters in the family?

villabolo

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

what kind of track is closest to to the one you saw.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Snow-shoe hare can leave a 5 inch track with toes that are hard to distinguish but I don't think they are in Kansas anymore. It sounds more like a hawk, crow, eagle, or maybe even a goose.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Could it be two- toed and a dew claw?

How deep was the snow?

Did all three toes sink to same depth?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Probably Dog Prints..

For some reason all toes don`t show up in snow..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• JeffT
    JeffT

More information needed. About what were the dimensions? What was the temperature doing? This is relevant, tracks left in snow get bigger as the snow melts. Could you see marks from claws? How far apart were the tracks, both in the direction of travel and from side to side. Is there water in the area? How big are the woods? How close together are the houses?

There are a lot of possibilites, not all of them obvious. Don't rule out non-native species. Every once in awhile somebody around here starts screaming that they saw a ten foot alligator in a lake. When caught it turns out to be a three foot cayman that some idiot kept as a pet until it outgrew his bathtub.

I've been hunting since I was a kid. If needed I could try to find my brother - he writes for several outdoor magazines. Between travel for that and working as a doctor on an Indian reservation it sometimes takes me awhile to figure out where he is.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Robdar..

I had the same tracks at my Ranch..

Took me a while to figure out it was the dog..

Dog tracks are wierd in snow..It`s not like mud or soft dirt..

............................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit