Birmingham, Alabama

by linp24 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird
    the state capital of Alabama.

The state capital is Montgomery; Birmingham is the largest city in Alabama.

I can't vouch for the story, but down here in the Black Belt, Birmingham was always looked upon as not very spiritual.

Sylvia

• dinah
    dinah

The number reported is probably off, but I can easily see something like this happening. I would say there are at least 20 congregations in the Birmingham Metro area, or there were back in the early 90's.

Sylvia, I always thought the kids from Birmingham got away with soooooo much more than I ever could!

• snowbird
    snowbird

It may have been big city envy, but I often heard whispers that the Witnesses in B'ham were not FS oriented at all!

http://www.google.com/search?q=jehovah%27s+witnesses+in+birmingham&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Anyway, that'll teach 'em to mess with Bama!

Sylvia

• dinah
    dinah

Hmmm, that lists 7 Halls, but most of them have more than one congregation using them. U remember the Center Point KH had three congregations using it at one time. There used to be a congregation in Vestavia. Wonder if that one is now closed?

Sometimes the elders just decide to go on a witch hunt and "clean up a congregation" usually because of a lack of increase or generally apathy in the congregation makes them think the Holy Spit is grieved.

When I was a teen there was a mass disfellowshipping/reproving that involved Talladega and a couple of Bham congos. If memory serves correctly, I think there were over 20 immoral teens who got the smack down.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Heard about it, Dinah.

We were shocked - shocked! - I say.

Sylvia

• dinah
    dinah

Did you know that one of the guys who got the boot is now an elder?

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL.

That doesn't surprise me at all.

The old, gray WT ain't what it used to be!

Sylvia

• ptt7000

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit