by cantleave 140 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nugget
    nugget

So many comments.

Deputy dog, regarding consciousness

http://www.youramazingbrain.org/Insidebrain/brainevolution.htm

• snowbird
    snowbird
    This sounds like Stephen Goulds Punctuated Equilibrium theory but on a larger level than mere species.
    villabolo

Sounds suspiciously like the Genesis account to me.

http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults2.php?passage1=Genesis+1&book_id=1&version1=65&tp=50&c=1

Sylvia

• cantleave
    cantleave

I'm now logged in as me!! My comment above.

• bohm
    bohm

Sylvia, just want to know your position. do you think birds and fish came before land animals like the genesis account says? Do you think it happened in 6x24 hours?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

There are a couple ways I'm thinking about God lately. I haven't decided on which I like better but both of them help me reconcile things a bit.

One, God might not exist within our universe; he is outside it, holding it in his hands so to speak. Where he came from isn't really relevant to our universe because he's not from here; he's of completely different origins that we can't possibly comprehend.

Or Two, God might exist within everything in the universe. He didn't create everything apart from himself; he IS everything. Where he originated is as much a mystery as where the matter and energy of the supposed big-bang originated but again, it's not that important.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sylvia, just want to know your position. do you think birds and fish came before land animals like the genesis account says?

Yes, I do.

Do you think it happened in 6x24 hours?

No, I do not.

Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens. KJV

Sylvia

• villabolo
    villabolo

Bohm: "a continious 'linear' evolution would really be strange to explain."

Continuing on the previous thought it seems that "gradualism" is the first assumption made by people to explain the progress of evolution and other subjects, such as climate change. Then we get more accurate explanations like Punctuated Equilibrium for evolution or "Tipping Points" for Climate Change.

For example, take the Elephant's tusk and put it in the "gradualistic" versus "punctuated" framework. Are we to believe that the Elephant's tusk grew, in evolution, millimeter by millimeter throughout the generations? What survival advantage would that have given the Elephant? On the other hand, if you assume that a genetic mutation gave it one foot worth of extra growth in one individual and then quickly spread through the gene pool then you can understand how that would be of benefit.

villabolo

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Snowbird says : Just as the Bible teaches, it's an indicator of an intelligent Evil One run amok, Charlie Brown!

But does this explain the comets and asteroids hitting all the other planetary objects in the universe.....uuummm ?

• zoiks
    zoiks

But does this explain the comets and asteroids hitting all the other planetary objects in the universe.....uuummm ?

It helps to think of it as a celestial game of pinball.

Tilt!

• cantleave
    cantleave

At one time the WTS were teaching that the Supernova couldn't be stars burning out, because god knows each star by name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit