Is The Internet The Worst Thing That Could Happen To The Organization?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In the sense that you are asking the question, YES- the internet is the worst thing that could happen to WTS.

Their biggest problems are self-induced but the internet makes them readily available to others.

Despite the fact that it was 30 years ago, I didn't know that a former Governing Body member wrote 2 books until I read something on the internet. I didn't know that WTS was a member of the United Nations for so long and had to embarassingly quit.

Even if people become aware of WTS problems without the internet, JW rules typically caused people to shun them and that was the end of that. The internet has allowed us to find each other and gather strength.

• minimus
    minimus

The WTS wasn't a member of the UN but I know what you mean. The internet exposes everything!!!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The information on the net has produced a a monumental headache for the WTS. because of the hidden and unknown

historical aspect of this religious organization. In other words everything the WTS. does not want non-jws and jws alike

to know about is plastered all over the net.

They've Bullshitted themselves into power and money now that bullshit is all being revealed for

all to observe.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Mad Sw,

Look around here at this site. Look at the bright, insightful, former elders, bethelites, etc. The borg drives out the free thinkers and those willing
    to learn things on their own via the Internet and what are they then left with? Sheeple who can't tie their own shoes without "direction" from the
    "faithful slave." And a great number of these are burning out, too, with being overburdened as a result of the Peter principle.

I agree with you here, and this has an effect on who they draw as future disciples to the cult. In essence the seats at the kingdom hall will gradually be supper saturated with wackos, by a snow balling effect over time. This will seriously limit their ability to make money as the income of the seriously gullible will be much lower, especially during hard economic times making future growth in the minus direction. Not a very appealing prospect to any corporation.

The burn out factor needs to be considered too. Broken dreams unfulfilled prophetic predictions added to the constant admonitions to do more and sacrifice more to bring prosperity to the corporation being the equivalent to beating a tired and almost dead horse doesn't make for a very inviting atmosphere for newbies and the already brain dead JW, causing less sales pitch meeting attendance leading to more inactivity and slowing growth and killing joy(which invigorates). We already see this among JWs as many are already on antidepressants.

• minimus
    minimus

I wonder how many really are afraid of the internet. Do they truly believe the hype?

• nugget
    nugget

The biggest problem in my opinion is the GB, keen to cling to old dogma, smug and self satisfied. Maintaining a grip on the r&f that can only cause people to become disillusioned. The explicit instructions to obey GB without question in Watchtowers recently and the overt calls to worship the GB through the new songs may be a step too far for some. An even bigger problem is the increase in annointed and the failure of the big A to come.

The whole history is a problem because they have kept it secret for so long it has greater impact when it comes to light.

The internet is of value when people have questions but the majority would never think to question their beliefs.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

As long as the WTS keeps pumping fear into the hearts and minds of the flock that apostates are evil and full of lies,

the WTS will keep a lock down on most of the members. Orchestrated fear is the catalyst that keeps everything working

for the WTS. Disfellowshiping worked well for shutting up dissenters in the past , now they are confronted with the inter-net

and they cant shut up the net, so all they can do is tell people to beware of information out there.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nug,

Maintaining a grip on the r&f that can only cause people to become disillusioned. The explicit instructions to obey GB without question in
    Watchtowers recently and the overt calls to worship the GB through the new songs may be a step too far for some. An even bigger problem is the
    increase in annointed and the failure of the big A to come.

This depression caused by unfulfilled hopes of a New System and the WT induced Chicken Little Sky Is Falling hysteria has caused many in a depressed state to override warnings form the Faithful and Discrete Slave Oracle about the Internet regardless of the warned out come. So as the depression rises in the ranks I would expect the Internet's danger to exposing the WT to increase even among the most devote JWs.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

True1,

Disfellowshiping worked well for shutting up dissenters in the past , now they are confronted with the inter-net
    and they cant shut up the net, so all they can do is tell people to beware of information out there.

So true and if they warn their followers too much it arouses their curiosity as it did mine, they need to be ever so careful not to warn them to the point of suspicion. The Internet has caused them much trouble and will only increase the wows of the corporation CEOs(GB). To me I see it as a kind of leveling field taking away power from the GB and gradually giving back more to those who left the organization as a medium to get information to those they have been denied access to.

• dgp
    dgp

Free speech has always been the worst enemy of all authoritarians. So, I agree: the internet is a threat to the WTBTS. How serious, that's to be determined. In my opinion, they have seen that the internet might make their job easier, so they are trying to use what serves them and scare the people away from what damages them.

I know that I didn't join because of what I read here and on other sites. So, I can personally attest that the internet has made them lose at least one person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit