Jesus Curses the Fig Tree

by cameo-d 104 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    (Only cuz I think Leo is da bomb) Why Burn? Because it doesn't agree with you and your christian filter?

Read cameo-d's post upthread. Theres a reason I put it in quotes.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I got the reference to Cameo's comment. But do you apply it to Leo's? Or was it sarcasm knowing Leo?

I should probably hit that recliner..................

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sarcasm. Now scram! Hope you feel better.

• beksbks
    beksbks

You just want Robbie to yourself. She dreams of ME you know

• Robdar
    Robdar
    You just want Robbie to yourself. She dreams of ME you know

Yeah, but in my dreams about BTS, we're naked.

BTS said he hopes you are feeling better. Are you not feeling well?

• cameo-d
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I agree.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Black Sheep:

It may not have had anything to do with the time of year.
    Figs are asynchronous in their fruit ripening.

That line of reasoning is contradicted by the grammar.

Mark11:12 The next day, when they had come out from Beth′a?ny, he became hungry. 13 And from a distance he caught sight of a fig tree that had leaves, and he went to see whether he would perhaps find something on it. But, on coming to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season of figs.

-------------------------

"Not the season of figs" is a very odd statement to make. Figs bear several times a year. There are many varieties, and for the most part you can find figs of some kind pretty much available year round.

This wording tells me that this is a parable and really has nothing to do with Jesus being hungry and indignant that there is no fruit on the tree for him because he is so special. (Sarcasm) Jesus was a humble character and would not have expected "fruit out of season".

Because these words in the story are so contradictory of the nature of figs and the nature of Jesus, I think this is alerting us to really pay attention because it means something deeper than face value.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Black Sheep:

Here is the other one. If this was your kid and he vandalised your neighbor's tree and it was reported in the news for all to see, what would you have to say about it?

Matthew 21:18 While returning to the city early in the morning, he got hungry. 19 And he caught sight of a fig tree by the road and went to it, but he found nothing on it except leaves only, and he said to it: “Let no fruit come from you anymore forever.” And the fig tree withered instantly. 20 But when the disciples saw this, they wondered, saying: “How is it that the fig tree withered instantly?” 21 In answer Jesus said to them: “Truly I say to YOU, If only YOU have faith and do not doubt, not only will YOU do what I did to the fig tree, but also if YOU say to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen. 22 And all the things YOU ask in prayer, having faith, YOU will receive

--------------------------

"He caught sight of a fig tree by the road"

It does not say that the fig was on anyone's property. As a matter of fact, years ago there were many fruit trees along the road that were available for anyone to stop and pick some fruit. There used to be pecan trees along roadsides in Georgia; also mulberry trees. What happened? Apparently some people got greedy. Rather than just taking some for their own personal needs and leaving plenty on the tree for others, certain people went out and took all the fruit and then sold it. This made the farmers mad. Eventually the depart. of agriculture went out and cut down all of the fruit trees that were meant for the passers-by because of the way a few abused it and took all the fruit.

So I would say it is not unusual for trees to just be along roadsides for the picking. In Germany I picked cherries from trees along the roadside. It was there for whomever wanted the fruit.

As far as the tree withering and being 'vandalized', you need to remember that this is a parable. Not being a story to be taken at face value, this withering tree actually means something else that is not literal.

When Jesus cursed the fig, it was not with the use of profanity. And his curse was not a purposeless act of intemperance or impulse.

A curse was a pronouncement of judgement.

Jesus pronounced a judgement on what this fig tree represented.

The strangler fig represented something that started out as a parasite for selfish gain but eventually destroyed the entirety of it's host. The very soul of its host rotted out from the oppression. (Is it becoming a little clearer?)

In cursing the strangulating tree, (which represented a vampire-like structure sucking the life out of people), Jesus then took an action to make that curse public. That action was displayed by what he did when he went into Jerusalem and turned over the table of the money changers.

Because of what he did, many began to see the lies, the sham, and the money game organization for what it was and pulled out of it. In essence, his efforts caused a withering of the membership. I will articulate this when I get into discussing the rest of that scripture.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Elsewhere:

God Hates Figs!

---------

I think I have heard that somewhere before, D.D.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit