Jesus Curses the Fig Tree

by cameo-d 104 Replies latest watchtower bible

• journey-on
    journey-on

Jesus was illustrating a point. He was also making his disciples go deep within themselves to extract his message. What he had to give them may not have been received properly without their internal desire to know and to search for the deeper meaning.

Trees represent nationalities.

Figs/fruit represent the rewards of righteousness labor.

So, a fig tree represents favorable opportunities given to particular people. These opportunities allow them to prosper and produce yet more righteous fruit.

In the account to which you refer, Jesus had just had a discussion with the older men, the chief priests and scribes. They were belittling the young boys who were shouting in the temple area acclaiming Jesus as the savior. Jesus reminded them (the older men) in no uncertain terms that the scriptures had foretold that out of the mouths of babes, praise would be bestowed. So, there is a new wind blowing, so to speak.

Jesus left them behind and went outside the city to Bethany where the next morning being hungry for fruit, he approaches a fig tree. It is full of leaves, but no fruit. (Leaves represent abundance, growth, health, and vibrancy.) So, although the tree appears healthy and has many leaves, it has produced no real fruit…Something is missing.

Jesus uses this opportunity to make a point. He withers it and takes away its future opportunity. He returns to the temple where he proceeds to give two additional illustrations appropos to this account. The final explanation is revealed in verse 43 (Matt. 21): “This is why I say to you, The kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits.”

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

>Trees represent nationalities.

> Figs/fruit represent the rewards of righteousness labor.

> So, a fig tree represents favorable opportunities given to particular people.

How do you know this?

I could find 100 people with 100 different interpretations.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Symbology has been around since people could draw on caves. Signs and symbols are held in the collective unconscious....just ask Jung.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    It may not have had anything to do with the time of year.
    Figs are asynchronous in their fruit ripening.

That line of reasoning is contradicted by the grammar.

Mark11:12 The next day, when they had come out from Beth′a?ny, he became hungry. 13 And from a distance he caught sight of a fig tree that had leaves, and he went to see whether he would perhaps find something on it. But, on coming to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season of figs. 14 So, in response, he said to it: “Let no one eat fruit from you anymore forever.” And his disciples were listening.
    15 Now they came to Jerusalem. There he entered into the temple and started to throw out those selling and buying in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves; 16 and he would not let anyone carry a utensil through the temple, 17 but he kept teaching and saying: “Is it not written, ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But YOU have made it a cave of robbers.” 18 And the chief priests and the scribes heard it, and they began to seek how to destroy him; for they were in fear of him, for all the crowd was continually being astounded at his teaching.
    19 And when it became late in the day, they would go out of the city. 20 But when they were passing by early in the morning, they saw the fig tree already withered up from the roots. 21 So Peter, remembering it, said to him: “Rabbi, see! the fig tree that you cursed has withered up.” 22 And in reply Jesus said to them: “Have faith in God. 23 Truly I say to YOU that whoever tells this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but has faith that what he says is going to occur, he will have it so. 24 This is why I tell YOU, All the things YOU pray and ask for have faith that YOU have practically received, and YOU will have them. 25 And when YOU stand praying, forgive whatever YOU have against anyone; in order that YOUR Father who is in the heavens may also forgive YOU YOUR trespasses.” 26 ——

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Here is the other one. If this was your kid and he vandalised your neighbor's tree and it was reported in the news for all to see, what would you have to say about it?

Matthew 21:18 While returning to the city early in the morning, he got hungry. 19 And he caught sight of a fig tree by the road and went to it, but he found nothing on it except leaves only, and he said to it: “Let no fruit come from you anymore forever.” And the fig tree withered instantly. 20 But when the disciples saw this, they wondered, saying: “How is it that the fig tree withered instantly?” 21 In answer Jesus said to them: “Truly I say to YOU, If only YOU have faith and do not doubt, not only will YOU do what I did to the fig tree, but also if YOU say to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen. 22 And all the things YOU ask in prayer, having faith, YOU will receive.”

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Jesus was illustrating a point

So, when my kid vandalises property in the presence of his peers, should I accept that as an acceptable way of illustrating a point?

it has produced no real fruit…Something is missing.

Nothing was missing. It wasn't supposed to have any figs for it was not the season of figs.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

It's all symbolism.

The cynical among us (of which, I frequently am) would wonder why a supposedly magnanimous person as Jesus was purported to be, would include this odd illustration, and the evident anger Jesus had.

I don't begrudge anyone who finds meaning in this illustration for themselves. Admittedly, sources of inspriation are all around us, and are only encumbered by our imagination.

• journey-on
    journey-on

For those looking at this account in a literal way and looking for a way to turn Jesus into some kind of delinquent:

#1 Did the tree belong to anyone? It sounds to me like it was perhaps a tree growing along the way ("seeing in the distance...")

#2 "For it was not the season of figs": Why would Jesus be angry to the point of withering it if it was not the season? Surely, he knew this.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    #1 Did the tree belong to anyone? It sounds to me like it was perhaps a tree growing along the way ("seeing in the distance...")

If it wasn't on private land, widows would have been grateful for its fruit.

Why is it ok that they be deprived of it just so that some *hole can show off to his mates?

#2 "For it was not the season of figs": Why would Jesus be angry to the point of withering it if it was not the season? Surely, he knew this.

That is one reason why the story is so ridiculous. Surely an itinerant 30 year old native of the land knew something about where food comes from? His mummy didn't shop at the supermarket. He didn't grow up thinking that milk came from bottles.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Again, Black Sheep, if you see this account as literal, you could reason that if a fig tree is full of leaves, it should have some fruit on it. As mentioned earlier, sometimes a fig tree will produce out of season. Jesus, seeing the tree full of leaves, may have assumed there would be at least a few figs on it. But there were none.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit