Jesus Curses the Fig Tree

by cameo-d 104 Replies latest watchtower bible

• beksbks
    beksbks

Here is a very interesting interpretation. http://atheism.about.com/od/biblegospelofmark/a/mark11b.htm

One of the more infamous passages in the gospels involves Jesus’ cursing of a fig tree for not having any fruit for him despite the fact that it wasn’t even the season for fruit. What sort of petulant individual would deliver a gratuitous, arbitrary curse? Why would this be Jesus’ only miracle in the environs of Jerusalem? In reality the incident is meant as a metaphor for something larger — and worse.

Mark isn’t trying to tell his audience that Jesus was angered at not having figs to eat — this would be very strange, given that he would have known that it was far too early in the year for that. Instead, Jesus is making a larger point about Jewish religious traditions. Specifically: it was not the time for Jewish leaders to “bear fruit,” and therefore they would be cursed by God never to bear any fruit ever again.

Thus, instead of merely cursing and killing a lowly fig tree, Jesus is saying that Judaism itself is cursed and will die off — “dry up at the roots,” as a later passage explains when the disciples see the tree the next day (in Matthew, the tree dies immediately).

There are two things to take note of here. The first is that this incident is an example of the common Marcan theme of apocalyptic determinism. Israel is to be cursed because it “bears no fruit” by not welcoming the Messiah — but clearly the tree here isn’t being given the choice to bear fruit or not.

The tree bears no fruit because it is not the season and Israel does not welcome the Messiah because that would contradict God’s plans. There can be no apocalyptic battle between good and evil if the Jews welcome Jesus. Therefore, they must reject him so that the message can more readily spread to the Gentiles. Israel is cursed by God not because of something they willfully chose, but because it’s necessary for the apocalyptic story to play out.

The second thing to note here is that incidents like this in the gospels were part of what helped fuel Christian antisemitism. Why should Christians harbor warm feelings towards Jews when they and their religion have been cursed for not bearing fruit? Why should Jews be treated well when God has determined that they should reject the Messiah?

The larger meaning of this passage is revealed more fully by Mark in the following tale of the cleansing of the Temple...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    of what helped fuel Christian antisemitism.

Seeing as how the early church was nearly all Jewish, the blame lies on those that use these texts an excuse to be cruel, and not on Jesus. Many times Jesus said things like "salvation is from the Jews" and how he had come to for the lost sheep of Israel, and not the gentiles.

And Jesus was prophetically right by the way about what would happen to the Jews, as happened later with the Roman invasion. They lost their temple, and their city.

The fig tree is symbolic of Israel. Israel produced no fruit in response to Jesus call; so withered. That it was not the season for Israel to bear fruit may prophecy the later age when Israel will return to Him and bear much fruit.

BTS

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

JO:" Trees represent nationalities.

We are not talking about any tree. A specific type of tree is mentioned here and it is for an illustrative purpose. "Trees represent nationalities" is a blanket statement. Generality does not fit. When a specific is used, articulation in necessary.

JO: Figs/fruit represent the rewards of righteousness labor.

Does a peach represent the rewards of righteous labor? I know a JW who has a peach tree and a fig tree. Does this mean going door to door is righteous labor?

JO: So, a fig tree represents favorable opportunities given to particular people.

This sounds like some sort of horoscope word salad. Jo, this really seems ambiguous and makes no sense at all.

A fig represents favorable opportunity ? In that maybe the gullable are "ripe for the picking"???

JO: These opportunities allow them to prosper and produce yet more righteous fruit.

The word 'righteous' seems judgemental and arrogant to me. I thought that the scriptures said there is none righteous.

In the account to which you refer, Jesus had just had a discussion with the older men, the chief priests and scribes. They were belittling the young boys who were shouting in the temple area acclaiming Jesus as the savior.

I am not familiar with that. Many events relayed in scriptures are not necessarily in chronological order just because of incidents in a preceding chapter. In Matthew, it describes Jesus being outside of Bethany between the mount of Olives. Also it seems anchronistic that anyone of that time period would "acclaim Jesus as the savior." And furthermore, the validity of the text of Matthew should be brought into consideration as well.

Jesus reminded them (the older men) in no uncertain terms that the scriptures had foretold that out of the mouths of babes, praise would be bestowed. So, there is a new wind blowing, so to speak.

This appears to be out of character for Jesus. I don't think this homeless man was arrogant enough to chastise anyone for not recognizing his "deity". Jesus never claimed to be a deity. To allude that he expected obesience by criticizing those who did not praise and revere him is really out of character.

Jesus left them behind and went outside the city to Bethany where the next morning being hungry for fruit, he approaches a fig tree. It is full of leaves, but no fruit. (Leaves represent abundance, growth, health, and vibrancy.) So, although the tree appears healthy and has many leaves, it has produced no real fruit…Something is missing.

Nothing is missing. This is the type of "fruit" that grows on the strangler fig. The "fruit" is 1/2 inch long and has a figlike structure containing small drupelets. It is not a fruit eaten by people. It is not a fleshy fruit like the turkey figs you are probably used to. This is a "fruit" that basically contains seeds. Also, the fruit would be very high up in the tree and too small to be worthwhile.

Jesus uses this opportunity to make a point. He withers it and takes away its future opportunity. He returns to the temple where he proceeds to give two additional illustrations appropos to this account. The final explanation is revealed in verse 43 (Matt. 21): “This is why I say to you, The kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits.”

You seem to have decided that this is what the scripture means. Have you really investigated this for yourself, or are you just buying into the ambiguous words that religionists have put out?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Oy vey. So what does it mean, Cameo-D, in your infinite wisdom? You've already posted about a tree that did not exist in Judea as the reference in the story, and continue to do so even after being corrected. STRANGLER FIGS ARE A TROPICAL/SUBTROPICAL SPECIES. They do not grow in that area. Too cold. What does grow there is the Common Fig, not the Strangler Fig.

It is not a fruit eaten by people.

Baloney. I've eaten them before off the tree. When ripe are edible. Old-timers used to even make a wine out of them back in the day. Mockingbirds get drunk from eating fallen fruit that has begun to ferment.

BTS

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

(for some reason I could not edit the post to add this:)

According to 2 Kings 23:27, the "kingdom" had already been taken away from Israel during Old Testament times.

Jesus uses this opportunity to make a point. He withers it and takes away its future opportunity. He returns to the temple where he proceeds to give two additional illustrations appropos to this account. The final explanation is revealed in verse 43 (Matt. 21): “This is why I say to you, The kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits.”

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Burns: "You've already posted about a tree that did not exist in Judea as the reference in the story, and continue to do so even after being corrected."

I will answer posts in the order received. Be patient. I will prove your "correction" of me as being impetuous and showing a lack of research on your part.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

aSphereisnotaCircle:

The only "reasonable" explanation your going to get is going to be several pages long with no paragraphs and as obtuse as anything the society has ever written.

----

And you base this assumption on....what?

He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him. (Proverbs 18:13)

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Leolaia did a wonderful job tracing the literary development of this parable in a thread that can be found by searching the words "leolaia fig tree". It is a spledid example of the multiple uses of oral or early written material by the writers who created the gospels. In short the material is both expressed in parable form and as a narrative. IOW we are seriously mistaken if we interpret these writings as history, they are pedagogical religious texts meant to impress a moral.

Compare the stories in two of the forms:

"And he told this parable: 'A man had a fig tree [suken] planted in his vineyard; and he came [elthen] seekingfruit [karpon] on it [en aute] and found none [ouk heuren]. And he said to the vinedresser, "Lo, these three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none [ouk heuren]. Cut it down; why should it use up the ground?" And he answered him, "Leave it alone, sir, this year also, till I dig about it and put on manure. And if it bears fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down." ' " (Luke 13:6-9)

"On the following day, when they came [exelthonton] from Bethany, he was hungry. And seeing in the distance a fig tree [suken] in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it [en aute]. When he came to it, he found nothing [ouden heuren] but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. And he said to it, 'May no one ever eat fruit (karpon) from you again. And his disciples heard it....As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. And Peter remembered and said to him, 'Master, look! The fig tree which you cursed has withered.' And Jesus answered them, 'Have faith in God.' " (Mark 11:12-14, 20-22)
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Here is the link:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/65196/1/Jesus-and-the-Fig-Tree

It's

impetuous and showing a lack of research
    , I'd say.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks
    It'simpetuous and showing a lack of research, I'd say.
    BTS

(Only cuz I think Leo is da bomb) Why Burn? Because it doesn't agree with you and your christian filter?

-Disclaimer- I have not read the other thread

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit