why i wept bitterly in front of two elders......

by oompa 32 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

oompa, actually my dad admitted to me they are not all quotes. That is all he said.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I never knew that Oompa!

Thank you for sharing that and the emotional toll it took on you.

At least you got someone to admit what you knew! Isn't it a shame that most don't know this and just take for granted what they are told by WT!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

then of course my dad came at me with:

"Now do you honestly think then when speaking of God to others Jesus used titles such as God or Lord in place of Jehovah?"

My reply: Yes. Let's look at one of the places where the WT claims they restored the Divine name:

34 After the Pharisees heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they came together in one group. 35 And one of them, versed in the Law, asked, testing him: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.”

41 Now while the Pharisees were gathered together Jesus asked them: 42 “What do YOU think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said to him: “David’s.” 43 He said to them: “How, then, is it that David by inspiration calls him ‘Lord,’ saying, 44 ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies beneath your feet”’? 45 If, therefore, David calls him ‘Lord,’ how is he his son?” 46 And nobody was able to say a word in reply to him, nor did anyone dare from that day on to question him any further.

verse 45 says the religious leaders did not dare question Jesus after he answered them. Had Jesus used the Divine name as the NWT indicates- thought by the Jews to be too holy to utter, they certainly would have pounced on him for that. Instead they walked away unable to deal with him.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

NO WAY! Ya gotta be freekin joking! they changed it. me just believed all along what i was told...

but i fear you are not oompa.

damn it, ANOTHER thing i need to investigate!

thanks

oz

• trueblue
    trueblue

Hay oompa,

Sorry to here your situation, I feel for you Brother...

Very interesting subject you brought up about Jehovah been added to the NWT, I have a Jerusalem Bible and I have always assumed that where ever the NWT said Jehovah it said Yaway in the Jerusalem Bible, but I just done a little investigating and found out that the Jerusalem Bible only says Yaway in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Thanks for bringing that up, it helps comfirm my suspessions that God's name is actually Yaway and not Jehovah after all...

• trueblue
    trueblue

I guess God's name is Yahweh, I hope to get it right some day,

at least I try...

Take care Brother's and Sister's

Love Yahweh...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Oompa said:

and of course i wrote brooklyn and they confirmed my worst fears...and told me not to tell anybody!!!!...cause it could stumble them....

Thank you, Dear Oomps. This story needed to be told. Consider everyone who wakes up to the innumerable lies of the Watchtower stumbled. (Oh wait... it is only now that I am walking strong and upright...)

• yesidid
    yesidid
    and of course i wrote brooklyn and they confirmed my worst fears...and told me not to tell anybody!!!!...cause it could stumble them....

So now you're out perhaps you could post a copy of your letter from HQ

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

sad the many ways people perpetuate organized harm to other people by turning a blind eye to or jumping to erroneous conclusions about obvious instances of being unfaithful in what is least.

scary to begin to realize how many ways and places this occurs in life and how naivete/ignorance/arrogance/incompetence contributes to compounding damages.

maddening to watch certain known fallacies injustices and abuses get rationalized away and the very real human element get treated as expendable for the sake of preserving the comfort of liars and collectives.

tiring to face these battles alone (so we too 'organize' and perpetuate our own waves of harm)

empowering to be accountable for our own ripple effects thereby avoiding becoming what we hate.

relief to simplify and focus on 'being the change we wish to see in the world'.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Oompa, it is very sad that you have lost your family... MAny of us limp along in a divided household, if I were younger, who knows what I would do???

Re the "inneffable name" I have spent many a dull 45 mins on a Sunday looking at the Greek Scriptures and trying to see why they say that a certain use of "Jehovah" is a quote?

One that is a clear quote is Luke 4 16- 21.

"And he came to Naz′a·reth, where he had been reared; and, according to his custom on the sabbath day, he entered into the synagogue, and he stood up to read. 17 So the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed him, and he opened the scroll and found the place where it was written: 18 “Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor, he sent me forth to preach a release to the captives and a recovery of sight to the blind, to send the crushed ones away with a release, 19 to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year.” 20 With that he rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were intently fixed upon him. 21 Then he started to say to them: “Today this scripture that YOU just heard is fulfilled.”

And they all began to give favorable witness about him and to marvel at the winsome words proceeding out of his mouth, and they were saying: “This is a son of Joseph, is it not?”

It seems strange though to me...The literal translation the Gk Interlinear clearly shows the word Kyrios (Lord) Jesus was in the synagogue, viewed as a layman but able to read from the scrolls ...Consider -

Josephus who as a priest knew the pronunciation of the name, declares that religion forbids him to divulge it. (Wikipedia) Philo who lived 20 BCE to 50CE wrote that says that it is lawful for those only whose ears and tongues are purified by wisdom to hear and utter it in a holy place (that is, for priests in the Temple). (Wikipedia)

If he had pronounced the ineffable name in that circumstance would they have called it "winsome words"? I doubt it, and Luke was recording what Jesus said, not what may have been in the scroll.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit