Celtic Music

by Snowball 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

My sister just introduced me to the music of Dougie MacLean and I'm in love :) Has anyone else heard of him?

I've also just discovered the music of Altan and the Corrs. Some great stuff there.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

My goodness.

If anyone is familiar with Canada's Capital of Celtic music, you'll know how intensely loyal they are to it.

My family are from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. I grew up in the Maritimes (region of Atlantic Canada) and Celtic music was something you heard from the womb until you ran away from it...sometimes screaming.

Newfoundland and Nova Scotia are particularly heavy on it. My grandfather (mother's) spoke Gaelic too, which was hilarious to me, as he'd always tease me in this wacky lingo.

I used to hate it as a kid. I wanted rock n' roll 24/7. But as I grew older, I respect and appreciate that music, better.

Give me "THE SPIRIT OF THE WEST" - HOME FOR A REST - one of the best modern twists of Canadian Celtic music. I think almost every Canuck knows the lyrics to this song.

For an insane Canuck Celtic band, try out: THE REAL MACKENZIES .

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

hey! My husband and I are friends with Kirk Macleod and Struby of Seven Nations, and also the Glengarry Bhoys -Graham Wright and Ziggy and Ewain-Canadian cops, and also Hadrian's Wall, Jimmy Kelly, and our good good friend Neil Anderson. you can find all these guys and their links on the website for their management group--Bob and Karen- called East of the Hebrides Entertainment-

www.eohebrides.com

we have known all these guys for about 6 or 7 yrs now and follow them around the east coast. they do a carribean cruise evry yr and go to Scotland every two yrs---one day we want to go with them. Seven Nations started out with Neil Anderson, then he went solo called Full Circle. He is the original Antipiper---and he can play anything you can put in his mouth--I have seen him play highland pipes AND uilean AND tin whistle AND sing at the same time!

welcome to the fold!

Slainte!

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit