Celtic Music

by Snowball 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• Snowball
    Snowball

I have developed a deep love of celtic music. I listen to Clannad, Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Natalie McMaster, and Capercaillie.

I have also discovered 'celtic rock' when i went to the Scottish festival in Pleasanton CA last year. Seven Nations was playing modern rock music with fiddles and bagpipes. It was awesome!
    I have been going to the small concerts of a local band called Tempest. They play celtic rock with more traditional tunes....just veru loudly! Perfect blend of fiddles, electric guitar, and the Norwegian lead singers' double-necked electric mandolin. Check out their website at www.tempestmusic.com

Any other celtic fans in here?

Wayne Rogers

• OrangeVale Bob
    OrangeVale Bob

Hi Snowball,
    You posted a thought provoking question for me. My siblings and I were raised to think that we were native americans. Osage indian specifically. After my dad passed away, my mother's mother was finally heard. We were not only Osage, but primarily Celt. Byrne, Burke, Connor, Murphy, Tindell were our ancestors. I felt cheated. I love history. The typical dry historical research is always more interesting when there is a perceived connection. The easy out for me was to "discover" Celtic music.
    Celtic music is now the rage. Most people, though, never have the opportunity to hear the "old songs" which IMHO opinion are the best. You are in an area in which this music is thriving. As you explore I suggest you seek out those who try to replicate the works of O'Carolan, the "master of the harp". You can also listen to cutting edge celt music on radio. NPR and KVMR have excellent celt music specials. These stations are available via web radio. Enjoy!

• Simon
    Simon

My mother in law loves Clannad...I don't go for celtic stuff myself living in the middle of it all. Mind you, I do quite like the Corrs - and you can still enjoy them with the sound turned down !

• thinker
    thinker

This is Thinkers Wife
    My husband and I are music lovers. Music of all types. I have been intrigued by Celtic music. And even have some with Celtic flavor. But am not always sure what to buy. Have any of you ever seen a harp guitar? I think that is what it is called. It is very large although hand held. And is played all the way up and down the strings for a very wide range of sound. Michael Hedges plays one. (he is deceased now) His music is available. A fairly local man to us also plays, I have seen him live, his name is Stephen Bennett.
    TW

• Seven
    Seven

Snowball, I've been a big fan of Celtic music for some time now. I listen to all the artists you've mentioned but my favorite is the Chieftains. Their tears of stonecd features vocals by MacMaster and McKennitt and others. One of their best cd's is an oldie, Boil the breakfast early-great uilleann pipe, neo Irish harp, and mediaeval harp work on this one. I learned to play the tin whistle, playing along with this one.

Seven

• Snowball
    Snowball

Hey Seven,

I like the Chieftans too. I got their Santiago, and Long Black Veil cds, which has vocals by Sting, Sinead, Jagger, Knoppfler, and Van Morrison. Great stuff! I could go on and on with my collection of the more obscure stuff. Like Glenn Morgan, Steve McDonald, Cherish the Ladies, Ashley McIssaac, Poozies, Blackmores Night, etc..
    If anyone likes Christian-oriented celtic music , Maire Brennan of Clannad does a solo cd called Whisper To The Wild Water that is every bit as beautiful as anything her little sister Enya has done.

I got me a tin whistle too, when I went to the Scottish festival. But DANG if that thing isnt hard to play! It is almost impossible to get a steady tone or use the whole range of chords. Maybe mine is just a lemon, or a cheapie...only cost 12$. Where did you get your whistle? Is it any better? Mine is a Feadog D. I have managed to play a barely acceptable rendition of "I cant help falling in love with you" on it.

ORGANGEVALE BOB:

Hey! Yer not too far away from me! I sometimes get up there to the Sac area, to visit Dan Hall and his gang. Do you know Don Nelson? Hes the first ex-JW i met after I got expelled.

If ya want to, maybe we can get together and see Tempest sometime? Ive gone up to the Santa Rosa area to see them play before. Check their schedule on their website. They also play as Caliban, with just the fiddler and the leadman, and in this form play more traditional celtic music. Their schedule is on the site too.

Cheers,
    Wayne Rogers

• Seven
    Seven

Wayne, What Feadog do you have-the black metal/black fipple? Have you tried adjusting the mouthpiece? Twist it gently so you don't crack it and remove it. Now take a little drop of oil(very small amount)and apply it to the area and replace the fipple. I started on an Oak D-very forgiving. The mistake I made was trying to play hornpipes the first day I bought it. LOL After many a frustrating afternoon, I went back to the beginning and practiced getting steady even notes, then left hand notes, then right hand notes. Pay attention to tonguing, breathing and phrases. Listen to cd's and try and copy what you hear. Ornamentation will come later(grace notes, sliding, etc). I'm into the dance music which include rolling and cranning. Remember to progress at your ownpace. I'm going to give you a few clicks
    to some whistle pages, maybe you've already been there:
    * http://www.folkharp.com/winds/whistles.htm
    * http://members.aol.com/planetmac/whistle/whistle.html
    * http://www.kentnet.co.uk/whistles/
    * http://www.sessioneer.com/default.asp
    I play the Generation, Clark Sweetones, and Feadog. Keep practicing and when the dogs in the neighborhood quit howling, you'll know you're
    making progress.

Seven

• OrangeVale Bob
    OrangeVale Bob

Snowball,
    I've been listening to mostly Blues and Classical music lately, but I'd love to see some live Celt stuff. Let me know if you find anything. I think the Scottish festivals are on hold until Spring.

I don't know either of those guys. I never got to know too many witnesses in this area.
    If you can pick up KXPR 90.9 (Sac, the bay area has an equiv. but I don't know the freq.), Fionna Richie has a great show on Sat nites at 9 o'clock pm. She usually focuses on one type (reels, ballads stc.) of music and does interviews. Good background music.
    Seven,
    You mentioned uillean pipes. I'd listen to a bad song if it had uillean pipes in it.

A couple of good "folksy" artists; Paul Brady (I really like "the island"), Christy Moore and Luka Bloom.
    I never seriously listened to "Danny Boy" until I heard the Chieftains and Diana Krall do it. I love their rendition.

• Snowball
    Snowball

Hi Seven,

My Feadog is brass colored with a green mouthpiece. I cant seem to get the green part off and i dont know what you mean by oiling it. What kind of oil? Where does it go? the mouthpiece seems to just be a one-piece plastic part. Are there better whistles out there? Where would I find one?

OrangeValeBob...

I'll let ya know when a concert comes up in the Sacramento region. Which city are you in? OrangeVale? Is that far from Santa Rosa?

Say...Have you ever thought of going to the support groupin San Raffael? Or that might be a bit far from you?

Cheers,
    Wayne

• OrangeVale Bob
    OrangeVale Bob

Snowball,
    O'vale is just east of Sac.
    What I need a lot more than a support group is an answer group.
    he he

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit