Why Do JWs Say Jehovah Protects His People & Then Claim "Time & Unforseen Occurences"?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

You'll hear experiences of how Jehovah God protected his people in modern times, how only Jehovah's Witnesses didn't die in a calamity, how an angel evidently protected a person, etc. They'll show how Jehovah takes care of his people by all sorts of almost "miraculous" events----but if a Witness did die or something deadly happened to a carload of JWs, well, then, it's just "time and unforseen occurence" and we can't expect Jehovah to perform miracles in our day, anyway!

What gives??

• PEC
    PEC

You get the same BS from all believers.

Philip

• littlebird
    littlebird

Hi min, they are very contradictory arent they? I remember they used to teach that Jehovah didn't protect individuals, only the group as a whole. In other words, they believe that "as a group" Jehovah protected the organization from the holocaust and thats why the wt is still around, but he didn't protect individuals. I dont have a cd currently, so I can't site the source, but thats how I remember it. When my son had brain surgery, they kept saying to pray to jehovah, but don't expect anything, they're real comforting, huh?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Well in order to believe in an imaginary friend one has to rationalize. That's the way these things work. There is no proof no solid data that one can extrapolate clear proof of existence so one is left to rationalize things to make belief in the Deity sustainable. Being that belief in this imaginary Deity requires a worshipful attitude of praise and adoration that if not forth coming would merit one's eternal damnation and loss of life, I think explains the reason for the skewed view of this imaginary friend's presumed protection and lack of protection.

Those are the dynamics I see at play based on my own belief system years ago in the Loving murderous biblical Deity. Fearful of incurring his displeasure indoctrinated to believe he reads your mind make one very cautious to believe anything negative or derogatory of this Deity.

• looking4peace
    looking4peace

This issue really bothers me. They would say, "We can only expect Jehovah to answer prayers that are in line with his will, prayers for things that impact us spiritually, so we will be safe spiritually." Well, pardon me, but having a loved one die in a tragic accident would definitely impact one spiritually, throwing them into a depression, not wanting to go in field service, meetings, etc. But then, that would be because they didn't trust in the hope of the new order, right? You can't win with this sort of reasoning. But it does make one wonder, what prayer, really, can you count on being answered....I have trouble with this sort of God who is lauded as the one who steps in and saves some and leaves others high and dry with no explanation. (I know that if there is a god, it's in man's explanations that the error resides, but he certainly hasn't given us any concrete answers either.)

• SallySue
    SallySue

That is exactly as I remember it, littlebird. Only the organization as a whole was protected and that Jehovah did not protect individuals.

• looking4peace
    looking4peace

SallySue and Littlebird, that is the doctrinal explanation, but on a case by case basis, individuals still credit Jehovah with saving ones who get away safe from scary situations. It is hurtful to the ones who suffered, as if Jehovah wasn't there for them.

• minimus
    minimus

Interesting comments.

If you pray to Jehovah because of scary situations and he "obviously" answered your prayers, then he performed a "miracle" which JWs claim do not exist---or do they?

• sd-7
    sd-7

When I'm quick to point that out, and thus to say, 'why bother praying for help regarding this or that, when there's no guarantee God will do anything', my wife says I have a 'lack of faith'. I'm just drawing the most logical conclusion--if we have no guarantee of protection, why ask for anything from God? If he won't save our lives from 'time and unforeseen occurrence', then what makes me think he'll help me deal with paying my bills or depression or anything else?

We could sum up God's position, from the JW standpoint, this way: "I'll kill you if you don't love and obey me. However, even though I will not protect you in any way, shape or form, I will expect you to die for me should the circumstances call for it. And if I think you really wanted to and didn't just die for me because I'd kill you if you didn't, I might let you live again."

As one of the publications once said, "That's my daddy!"

SD-7

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's a shell game.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit