JW therapist????

by maninthemiddle 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I remember the sister telling me that she had to sign a waiver stating that if during one of their sessions she mention breaking a bible principle she was aware that he would call the Elders in her Hall.

A new couple moved into our hall from California, they were both therapist, both trained before becoming JW's. Now I don't remeber if they were licensed social workers or exactly what there traiining was, but of course it was way more then any JW ever was allowed to get.

Anyhoo, they moved to this area, they both hung out there shingles and overnight they both had full time practices, the need was that great.

But of course they had there clients sign a waiver like the above poster described.

They both seemed to be really nice people, wonder if the're still in.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Sphere - You have a pm.

-Aude.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

JW therapists are out there....very rare, but out there. I know some elders advised my folks to go and see a JW marriage counselor (as in, someone who had the education to counsel couples on marriage). My folks are still together, so I guess it worked...

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Brother" Bishnu Chitrakar is/was (not sure if he's still there) a psychologist in BROOKLYN BETHEL INFIRMARY! What does that tell you?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Scully wrote an excellent essay about health professionals and the issue of confidentiality. Although her essay applies to more of a medical setting the same principles would apply regarding any mental heath professionals.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/26050/1/Confidentiality-an-essay-by-me

It is definitely a "buyer beware" issue.

If, in the past, you have declared on medical forms that you were a JW, you might want to update those files so you don't have some elder knocking on your door

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Holy crap this is scary: I remember the sister telling me that she had to sign a waiver stating that if during one of their sessions she mention breaking a bible principle she was aware that he would call the Elders in her Hall.

How could you be complety honest with someone like this? It would be like talking to the cops where anything you say can and WILL be help against you, and I guarantee it will.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Any ways, I remember the sister telling me that she had to sign a waiver stating that if during one of their sessions she mention breaking a bible principle she was aware

that he would call the Elders in her Hall

Well, there's a clear warning to "Stay Away!". If I was presented with such a waiver, I'd forward a copy to the state licensing authorities. I doubt such a waiver would be legal (federal HIPPA requirements for patient privacy, as well as state medical ethics laws).

In any case, if there's even the slightest chance you'll mention anything related to the WT to your therapist, you need to see an impartial therapist: not a Brother, not an Elder. That waiver makes it clear the therapist is anything but impartial on matters of religion!

GLT

• tinker
    tinker

One of only two JW's that will still speak to us is a mental health therapist. He regularly calls just to catch up saying 'wattsup, lets kick it and have a beer' Very nonjudgemental and relaxed. He was a MS for a short time but stepped away after experiencing the hoops he was expected to jump through.

If anyone would like his personal info PM me.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I remember the sister telling me that she had to sign a waiver stating that if during one of their sessions she mention breaking a bible principle she was aware that he would call the Elders in her Hall

I find this quite horrifying. I can't imagine a reputable therapist even asking this. Before you can register as a psychologist or counsellor in my province you must have taken an oath of ethics. An ethical therapist could not practice if he/she were to betray a client's confidence in such a manner, and i can't imagine anyone could be comfortable sharing their problems under that kind of threat.

I'm in the process of developing my own private practice and I've debated focusing on the problems ex-cult members face, but I'm not sure how great a need there is where I live. From my own experiences in therapy, though, I know how important it is to have a therapist who, if not an ex-JW, at least has intimate knowledge of the JW life.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No mental health therapists in the UK J W field, to my knowledge.

We have a lot of reflexologists, at least one homeopathic practitioner who prescribes vitamins and I even know a J W kinesiologist, despite the WT criticizing it

When family dealt with one of these he said also that if she ever disclosed anything that would justify a judicial committee, he would inform he elders..This person had a clear conscience though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit