JW therapist????

by maninthemiddle 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I read on a facebook thread some talking about going to a JW therapist, I didnt't know there were any.
    I remember a young girl that DA and my mother blamed it on a "worldly" therapist. Knowing what I know of her family it had to be the best decision of her life.

Yet, my mother refused to ever take our family to one, even though to this day I belive my sister needs to see someone. We had fmaily problems growing up, but now days I think the BS she gets at 4 meetings ever week and the threat of the big A, she really needs someone with an outside view.
    Have you ever experienced a JW therpist? What would they say, it would seem that most people with any common sense would tell you tell you to leave the org if they thought that was your problem, and for many of us I think it was the problem. but if they were to be a faithful JW (and get return business) then they couldn't suggest such a thing.

Could anyone suggest a way I could convince my sister to see a therapist now that she is an adult, active JW , but still an adult?

• zarco
    zarco

Most Witness therapist are not university trained, they take courses in NLP or other. If you find a Witness therapist that has been formally trained and licensed let me know. Several "worldly" therapist are very experienced in helping JWs.

With regard to helping your sister to see the need to see a therapist, you might help her reason that if we have a broken arm we do not try to treat it ourselves, rather we see someone trained to treat such a condition. Our mind and emotions are no different, sometimes they are broken and one needs to seek treatment. It is no different than seeing a medical doctor.

All the best,

zarco

• poppers
    poppers

Can you imagine a JW therapist? They'd be sued left and right.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Talk to me in approximately 4 years. ;)

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

My therapist is well versed in the JW ways, as she has several 'clients' that are DF'd - so she makes it VERY easy to open up and discuss all my feelings about the religion. But to actually deal WITH a JW, I don't know...

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

This thread is ironic because I had a checkup a couple weeks ago. I explained to the physician that I'm experiencing some stress, and anxiety. She gave me something for it, which has helped. She asked a question though that I couldnt answer honestly at the time. She goes, "do you feel the need to talk to someone about it?" Which she meant a Psychiatrist, or Therapist, however you wish to put it. I said no, I can handle it. I didnt tell her then and there, but the reality which I know the Therapist will verify, is whats behind my anxiety is this religion. I'm stressed out. Life's stresses are common to everyone, but you would think your faith would provide some comfort. This religion adds to the stress, anxiety, etc..

maninthemiddle, I wish the best for your sister and other family.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

MiseryLoves said:

...you would think your faith would provide some comfort. This religion adds to the stress, anxiety, etc..

You said a mouthful there. Too true, and so sad. I promise you it gets easier and better! Hang in there.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

There was an elder in my last congregation who was a licensed Psychologist. One of his associates treated ALOT of witnesses and she is the one I saw for several years.

If interested in contacting him, pm me and I will give you his name so you can search for him on whitepages.com.

I got along with him well enough but for those that had real issues with the organization itself, maybe not the best place to go. His former associate, however, was wonderful and I have recommended her to JWs and non-JWs alike.

OK to pm me for the name of the elder and/or his female former associate.

-Aude.

Edited to remove the elder's name (even though I had quasi-encrypted it). If you want to contact either of those two, please pm me and I will provide names.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    ...you would think your faith would provide some comfort. This religion adds to the stress, anxiety, etc..

Back in 1985 or '86 when I started pioneering, I was getting completely stressed out. My employer pointed out to me that most people find stress RELIEF when they immerse themselves in their religious missions.

Clearly this was not the case with me and I was called on it. "Something is not right." True that!

-Aude.

• thepackage
    thepackage

There used to be a brother who was a Psychologist in Sherman Oaks, California. I’m not sure if he was one before he was a JW or not. I used to give a sister in our Hall rides to his office (I believe it was off of Venture Blvd.), her mother died and her father (an Elder who had just given a talk at a District Convention in Long Beach) skipped out on the family about two months after his wife died and married her wordly cousin. Those are pretty good reasons to talk with a Psychologist.

Any ways, I remember the sister telling me that she had to sign a waiver stating that if during one of their sessions she mention breaking a bible principle she was aware that he would call the Elders in her Hall. She saw him for a few months. Not sure what happened to the sister since she moved to Alaska a while back. I maybe gave her four or five rides.

I do remember that he charged $250 per hour ( I paid for a few sessions).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit