local needs part on facebook

by isaacaustin 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

My parents are having a local needs part on facebook. Anyone else know of this and what is being said on it?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Local needs are at the discretion of the local body of elders. I can imagine myself as an elder being concerned about it from a JW elder point of view. Of course, it is harmless, but not to JW's, who want to limit the amount of outside contact anyone can have with "outsiders".

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

ATJ, my guess is the talk will likely hit on the time-wasting factor of excessive time on facebook, the dangers of bad association, and the risk of running into ‘apostates’. It is probably driven by:

#1 There is a trend of JWs adding as friends formers members/disfellowshipped members/etc

#2 (Which is like the main driving point) People are reconnecting with old friends WHO ARE NOT JWS. Not what an exclusivist group wants their members to do.

Would that be how you as an elder would have gone about this?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Yes Issac, I would. The internet is killing this cult slowly, just killing them. I love it. One more local needs talk about how free you are, and about one more thng you can't do.

• asilentone
    asilentone

It does not surprise me, I have seen few weak JWs talk about very worldly music and friends with benefits, free subs? $5 foot long subs. They even post about it even with at least one elder on their fb lists.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Will most listen and cancel their facebooks? I know a bunch of elders who have one. In my mom's hall most JWs have one. I do not think they would say point blank 'cancel it'. But they would demonize it and speak of it in such terms that some drones would be guilted into listening.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

If I was a JW youth listening to the talk, I'd block whoever I thought would have a problem with me having the account from seeing my profile and keep it online. I think most JW youth would do that.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

That is a good point Kwintestal.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I did a local needs item on social networking sites a couple of years ago. None of the kids really took any note.

• sir82
    sir82

Given that I'm one of the 7 billion or so persons who don't attend the same congregation as your parents, then no, I don't know anything about it.

However, it's quite likely that the talk will condemn it, without actually "banning" it.

You know the typical JW-speak: "Mature Christians would avoid using social networking sites...1 Cor. 15:33....there might be apostates out there....wouldn't your time be better spent reading the magazines or going out in service anyway?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit