local needs part on facebook

by isaacaustin 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Did you basically use the points ATJ and I discussed at the start of this thread?

What sort of effect will this have, do you think, on JWs?

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Elders are notorious for making dogmatic statements and then rationalizing away infractions. Watchtower does not teach elders how to think. Watchtower teaches elders what to think. Watchtower then asks elders to pass on the bounty.

"No animal shall sleep in a bed with sheets." Same story; different religion.

Marvin Shilmer

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

This concept of the WT jumping on the latest trend and demonizing it is nothing new. They have done similarly with music, tv, video games, entertainment, etc. it is about control, and focusing the attention away from self and to the org. It is about minimizing common ground with outsiders.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I'm not surprised at all! I actually did see a old friend of mine that is still in Bethel that had a FB account and now all of a sudden he has deleted it! (of course I was not a friend on FB of his...I had just ran across his name) I knew instantly it must have been because there was a talk about FB being bad! LOL!!

• undercover
    undercover

Here's a thread from the other day where some local elders declared Facebook off limits. They even went so far as to say that 'privileges' would be revoked for those that used Facebook. Probably not an official WT edict, but it is clear enough that they rail against it enough that local elders take it up themselves to try to curtail it.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/186282/1/Facebook-condemned

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

F*cked up religion!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

local needs part on facebook

I almost asked you to post a link. I really need to quit the decaf.

W

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I can just hear some old fart saying, "You kids want facebook? *Pulls out NWT* Here, put your face in this book for a change!... not in Satan's interweb!"

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Not sure what the part will be about but over the past 2 weeks I've had a number of JWs friend me on FB. All of sudden, I received about 20 friend requests from active JWs (elders, MS, pioneers). I 'ignored' them all because my life is very different now

After the WT article on choosing friends and dropping friends, technically, JWs should only have other active JWs on their friend list. Maybe the local needs talk is about that.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

JWs, as a whole, are pretty acclimated to living with a lot of guilt, thanks to a Watchtower-trained conscience.

The WTS has created a lot of reasons to feel guilty, so JWs learn to dial down the guilt. The majority of JWs who enjoy FB will rationalize their use of it to themselves, just as they do watching TV, listening to worldly music, reading a book, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit