local needs part on facebook

by isaacaustin 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dinah
    dinah

I'm guessing Brooklyn sent word down to all the local elders that this is a "local needs" talk that everyone needs to hear.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

isaacaustin keep us updated if you can on this subject cause my sister, dad and stepmom and a few jw friends are on facebook and has added me. It makes me nerves. i don't want them to delete me but I don't want them to get into trouble either.

• nugget
    nugget

Facebook is dangerous to the WTS as it is not controlled by them. people can say pretty much say what they want. It has been used by youths to arrange romantic hook ups without parents knowledge. It is easier to condemn than legislate for.

• moshe
    moshe

A big facebook JW group just vanished the other week. Ah, the GB gestapo is hunting down the stubborn JW's who don't listen to them about the dangers of social networking websites.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Do you have terrorists on your Friends list? No? Well then why do you have those DFed and DAed people on your Friends list???

• rocketman
    rocketman

It's just the latest thing to be demonized. If it's not some kind of toy, or some game, it's something on the Net. But it's always something. My guess is that most jws will simply ignore it or rationalize it away.

That said, it can be a time-consumer. If you have a lot of friends and you get their news feeds, you can spend hours on the thing, which I'm sure worries the WTS/elders. Add to that the potential for contact with apostates, this high-control group might have something to worry about.

• In
    In

yeah, i got a few pioneer friends who cancelled theirs a couple of years ago. Reason? Taking their time away from Bible study and service. Very indoctrinated people. One has a degree in marketing and continues to work as a retail sales clerk so he can pioneer.

Funny, we got a talk at the District a few years ago about the dangers of texting and why kids shouldn't be allowed to have cell phones.

The Facebook talk is just following the trend as others have pointed out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit