What does it mean to be spiritual but not religious?

by asilentone 54 Replies latest jw friends

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Religious people are afraid of going to hell.

Spiritual people have already been there.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Religious people are afraid of going to hell.

Spiritual people have already been there.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

AdaMakawee

Deputy Dog - you are struggling with how sex can be a spiritual experience. For those hung up on the bible and the whole mindset that sex is sin, I can see how you would struggle to understand it.

I never said nor do I believe sex is sin. Nor does the bible teach that sex is sin. Maybe JWs taught that?

(I think most often when this is experienced, the two people in question have very similar beliefs and are both very spiritual people, and their connection runs very deep, often called "soul-mates".) Also doesn't mean that if you can't have sex you can't be spiritual either.

I don't think you have to have sex to be "soul-mates" OnTheWayOut

I am just demonstrating that forcing "spiritual" to mean something religious is so opposed to it's real meaning.

I agree most "religion" is not spiritual at all.

I do this by showing an extreme example of true spirituality in the other direction- focusing on making another human being feel good and getting the same in return through the ultimate sharing experience.

I'm just not sure I agree that sex is "ultimate sharing experience". It could be part be part of it. My point is sex like religion can be as machanical or as much work as anything and may not leave someone happy or satisfied.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Deputy Dog I am SO sorry you have never experienced spiritual sex. Sex isn't spiritual every single time. Lots of times it isn't. But when it is its unforgetable. And I can only say if your sex life is mechanical, well I'm just sorry. Thats just wrong.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

As already mentioned, sex is not always spiritual. Many things that are spiritual for one are not for another.

If you haven't had the feeling of spirituality during sex, try cheating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhRJ8ZsEJgw

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Ludacris (rapper) reply to "Sex is over-rated". "They just ain't doing it right."

As for me, I can live without it. After, you hit a certain age, it ain't all that it's cracked up to be.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

AdaMakawee

And I can only say if your sex life is mechanical, well I'm just sorry. Thats just wrong.

Are you always so judgmental? I never said "my sex life" is mechanical. My sex life is just fine, great in fact.

I'm just not sure I would define the sex act as "spiritual". Gratifying for sure.

OnTheWayOut

My point is you could use the term "spiritual" in connection with any act. I don't think actions are "spiritual".

Would you agree that "spirituality" is much more about mental as opposed to physical?

If you study serial killers for example (like the son of Sam) some of them would describe killing as being "spiritual". I'm sure we both agree they are mentally ill.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Deputy, I wasn't trying to judge, thats how I read what you wrote, it sounds like your experience, hence the reply:

My point is sex like religion can be as machanical or as much work as anything and may not leave someone happy or satisfied.
  • Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

AdaMakawee

Deputy, I wasn't trying to judge, thats how I read what you wrote, it sounds like your experience, hence the reply:

My point is sex like religion can be as machanical or as much work as anything and may not leave someone happy or satisfied.

You never hear other people decribe it that way? I did say "can be".

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

OnTheWayOut

My point is you could use the term "spiritual" in connection with any act. I don't think actions are "spiritual".

Would you agree that "spirituality" is much more about mental as opposed to physical?

See, you can't insist on anything from your point of view. Extreme sports is "spiritual" to many people. The action is just part of the whole thing. The mental part is there. If sex is just an action and not mental to some, they are not having spiritual sex.

While your serial killer example is one of negative results, it probably is spiritual to the killer. It gives him that feeling he is seeking- perhaps oneness with the universe. Drugs often help people to find that same feeling.

While I could not imagine getting spiritual from killing or even from bungee jumping, I cannot insist that some connection to "GOD" must be in place or that "spiritual" can only be a result of positive actions or thoughts. Another way to try to understand "spiritual" is to remove the thinking that it is a "result" of any action. (Even I probably stated it that way, but it's just the awkward language that causes me to do that.) I also accept that the definition for many people may not include "escape" through violence or drugs.

"Spirituality" is not a result of sex or mountain-climbing or praying or feeding the poor. Spirituality comes to some who engage in such activity, but spirituality just is what it is. It is neither cause nor effect, it just is. It cannot be produced and packaged. One may have it after activity, but the activity did not create spirituality.

A path does not create spirituality. You have a path leading to a mountain. The path doesn't create the mountain. The mountain is already there, and the path develops as a result of it's existence. But that path is not available to everyone- only to those in a certain location. Others may find another way to the mountain via another path. Some seek the path, but don't get to the mountain.

I could ramble on and on, but you must seek your own path. That's the beauty of spirituality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit