What does it mean to be spiritual but not religious?

by asilentone 54 Replies latest jw friends

• undertheradar
    undertheradar

I agree with all of the above and would describe a spiritual experience as a beautiful feeling of inner connection and harmony with life from something as simple as "Finding God in a Garden" as my Grandfather used to say, and the feeling of appreciation at watching a sunset. Or having a profound life-changing experience.

The Bible describes it in Romans 8:2 and 9 as being "in harmony with the spirit" and being "free from the law." And Galatians 5:22 shows the emotions of "love, joy and peace" etc. we feel in the moments when we are in harmony with the spirit.

The criteria for a spiritual man is certainly NOT someone who gets all his hours in and follows law. He would be a religious man. But such a man could have spiritual experiences, just as a non-religious person could.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Deputy Dog Wow good thread.

Stephen I think you're on to something.

"not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith."

Cool! Here's some more on the same theme :)

Romans 10:1-13 (New International Version)

1 Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. 2 For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. 3 Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness.

Paul is talking about the Jews but these verses describe the WT and JWs perfectly.

4 Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Christ is the only righteousness we can have, and the only thing we can do to obtain it is belief in Him.

5 Moses describes in this way the righteousness that is by the law: "The man who does these things will live by them." 6 But the righteousness that is by faith says: "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 "or 'Who will descend into the deep?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Sincere belief in the Lordship, and physical resurrection Luke 24:39 of Jesus leads to salvation, nothing else.

11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

The WT twist this key last verse to their own destruction 2 Peter 3:16

The Jesus is Lord 1 Corinthians 12:3 , not "jehovah". The WT falsely insert "jehovah" in their own NWT bible and create a contradiction, see here for example Acts 4:10-12

Blessings,

Stephen

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Steven

Paul is talking about the Jews but these verses describe the WT and JWs perfectly.

Don't get me wrong, but, I think Paul is talking about what most churches teach, in the world today. Most people in most churches today think they can produce righteousness themselves, by doing good deeds or keeping the law.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I believe Willy is right ,,,,I am spiritual( I mean I pray to GOD) but I believe religions divide
    So I call what I have a relationship,

I vote that sex is spiritual. <<<<I too believe that ,Not SELFish!! Otherwise why would God give it us
    If I remember rightly given in LOVE it is heavenly ...I believe when anyone feels sex is wrong,they are
    beginning to push the teachings of SOME religions that teach it was the first sin...that is rubbish
    used in the right manner (LOVE) it is a gift, used greedily,for ones own satisfaction is is a sin.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Don't get me wrong, but, I think Paul is talking about what most churches teach, in the world today. Most people in most churches today think they can produce righteousness themselves, by doing good deeds or keeping the law.

Depends if they believe the bible or not!

1 Corinthians 1:28-31 (New International Version)

28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

My boast is in Jesus, not my own works.

Blessings,

Stephen

• moshe
    moshe

Master to young Caine:

"See the Way of life as a stream. A man floats, and his way is smooth. The same man, turning to fight upstream, exhausts himself. To be One with the Universe, each must find his true path and follow it " ( from Kung Fu TV series 1972-75)

-

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Stephen

Depends if they believe the bible or not!

It doesn't matter what they believe. Man CAN NOT produce righteousness.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Spiritual people live the way religious people say people should live and they feel no need to talk about it.

Farkel

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I vote that sex is spiritual. (NO JOKE.)

What happens to those who for what ever reason can't have sex? Also, look at all those who have been hurt by sex (or it's abuse). Okay, I am not summing up all things in an overall sense. Sex CAN BE spiritual if it is attaining it's goal of mutual pleasure for the participants. I mean: singing is spiritual to many, but there are those that cannot sing. People were abused by priests or had a bad experience in pursuit of spirituality. If someone fell off a mountain, it doesn't mean that others on that mountain cannot feel "spiritual" from the view and the exhilaration. We don't all have to have "spiritual" sex. We don't all have to have spiritual experiences from the same activities at all. But overall, sex between two people (I suppose more than two also) who are really into it for each other's sake, can be spiritual.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

As is so obvious religious has to do with religion and so going to church, saying your prayers, not eating meat on Fridays, it's all about having been indoctrinated with a particular religion and then following it's commandments.

Spirituality on the other hand has many definitions because of what the mind has been conditioned to expect as actions of someone who is spiritual that has some merit or positive aspect to it. And so you have many definition depending on how we feel at the moment or who has caught our attention and who we admire. To some Einstein might be considered highly spiritual to others it might be St Augustine, or the Pope or perhaps Obama, or the Dalai Lama.

But I wonder if all our classifications of spirituality and what they mean have any value at all except to indulge in a form of mental masturbation which we are prone to because of our involvement in a mind control cult and are nothing more than valueless judgements.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit