What does it mean to be spiritual but not religious?

by asilentone 54 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
  • zoiks
    zoiks

Afraid of commitment...?

Or maybe just averse to organized religion?

• Confucious
    Confucious

The same as following a football team, watching games on TV. Checking stats...

Just you don't go out to the stadium and tailgate and get your face all painted up.

Doesn't mean your less of a fan.

• Chalam
    Chalam

What does it mean to be spiritual but not religious?

See the change in Paul before and after he met Jesus.

Philippians 3:4-9 (New International Version)

If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.

7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

Religion is falling rules.

True Christianity is following Christ.

Blessings,

Stephen

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It means focusing on things that are not "material." So many people are focusing on love and peace and doing good toward others and aiding the sick and poor.

The tough question is deciding whether sex is spiritual or not. I mean, it helps you achieve bliss and aid another person to reach bliss. It has no real material gain to it. It often is connected to joy and praising God. I vote that sex is spiritual. (NO JOKE.)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Also, "spiritual" does not refer to the super natural. It is a metaphor for internal thoughts and feelings.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Believe in the invisible?Or believer in spirits(hic)?

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I think that the Jehovah's Witnesses are "religious but not spiritual."

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Spiritual means that you let the Good Book speak for itself, without the need for a human interpreter (religion) to lead you astray. That way, if you get it wrong, you have only yourself to blame. Spiritual also means that you feel a personal connection with a Higher Power that you endeavor to please throughout your life, rather than worrying about the rules of an institution that claims to speak for that Higher Power.

If you believe the Bible, when you someday meet the Big Guy in the Sky on Judgment Day, there won't be anyone there to hold your hand. So why let them (religion) hold your hand on the way there?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Also, "spiritual" does not refer to the super natural. It is a metaphor for internal thoughts and feelings.

Agreed. The spirit and soul are the non visible and non physical core of a person.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 (New International Version)

23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit