Did You Know Anyone That Celebrated "Family Day" Instead of "Christmas?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I knew a few families that wink wink did not celebrate gift giving for Christmas. Instead, they celebrated "Family Day".

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

No, the first time I had heard of it was on this board.

• minimus
    minimus

The families that celebrated Family Day, usually, coincidentally, on Dec. 25th, made no bones about what they were doing, to members of the congregation. Some were appalled and others nonplussed. Yet, there were a lot of snide remarks but to my knowledge, it never deterred anyone from continuing the celebration and gift giving.

• blondie
    blondie

I never knew anyone who did it on Xmas Day but counted out 6 months and had a Family Day with gifts and a meal then.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, several, though most conspicuously held it on some date far removed from Christmas. Parents or grandparents wedding anniversary days were popular.

• undercover
    undercover

I knew a family that the parent's anniversary was in late December, so amazingly enough it became this celebration of family. Instead of husband and wife exchanging gifts/flowers/going to dinner (and kids doing something nice for them) they all traded gifts with one another...kinda like, say, Xmas...how convenient...

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

we had one superstar Dub family, who I'm surprised did not put up the Xmas Tree the extent they took their family day

• Aeiouy
    Aeiouy

My family did. We never celebrated it on xmas, but we would usually have it once a year. We would wrap presents, and have a special dinner with sparkling apple cider etc etc.

Aeiouy

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

We started doing it for our kids when they were really little.

We were having doubts, but hadn't really come to terms with it yet. We didn't want our kids to miss out on the joy and love that other children had in the holidays they were able to look forward to.

We also started a yearly congregation tradition of inviting everyone over in the fall for an outdoor party. We really tried to give people something to look forward to and enjoy recreation together.

It was nice. Thankfully we were able to break free and have the mainstream holidays. I am so glad that we put ourselves out there to try to do something for our children. We didn't get that as children and we didn't want ours to go without anything. (I'm thinking of the post where it talked about children saying "we get presents all year. We don't need Christmas." Yeah. Right. Who exactly got these presents all year? It sure wasn't hubby or I!)

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Oh yeah..every year! In fact, the kids are waiting for their check from their anointed pioneer grandma and never witness grandfather(yes she so uses her husband not being a witness to do all the holidays in some way).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit