Did You Know Anyone That Celebrated "Family Day" Instead of "Christmas?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

My aunt and uncle (he was a devout elder) started having an annual "Toy Party" for their 3 kids. I believe it was just before or just after Christmas - lots of presents wrapped up and a day of 'celebration.' Strange now that I think about it. They only did it for about 4 - 5 years, then the kids outgrew it. Clearly, it was to mimic Christmas and make both kids and adults feel better about the senseless deprivation of the holiday celebration.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Seems we almost always had a family gathering on THANKSGIVING DAY. Turkey and all the trimmings. I was too young to ask any questions but it seemed to be acceptable for our family

• dissed
    dissed

We did family day with our extended JW family. It was a blast and we made no secret what we were doing.

What was wrong with giving gifts to each other? As long as it wasn't on Xmas.

For the kids, we made maps with clues to find their hidden treasures.

And of course followed that with a great dinner.

A few talked or gossipped, but most followed our example.

Even though we have left, we still like to surprise each other with gifts on non-holidays. Sometimes the treasure maps are classic with burnt edges and all. My daughter goes nuts trying to figure out the riddles.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

We did "Present Day"...

• Tristram
    Tristram

Our parents' anniversary was always a big event. We would go out somewhere the kids liked for dinner, come home and unwrap tons of presents.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

We had congregation day, when most in the congr went to the beach, had a picnic & played cricket, smetimes competively.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Yup, my family started doing it a few years ago since between my siblings and I there are 7 kids. We never gave gifts to the adults (although we all give something to my parents). Sometimes its on Christmas Day, other times the day before or the day after, depending on when it falls. This year it was on Christmas day.

Reminds me of Sinfield when Kramer invented a holiday called Festivus. It was a celebration for any non-Christians. "Festivus for the rest of us".

To me, it respresents a bit of rebellion for WTS rules. They don't want us to gather as a family and celebrate each other. BTW, my dad is an elder and one of my brothers just got appointed.

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

Our family celebrated "Happy Nothing Day" on Jan. 11. It was also my parents anniversary, and the next day was my birthday. Not to mention it was also just a couple weeks off from Christmas. What a way to exploit!!!!!

• minimus
    minimus

We were an inventive bunch of future "apostates", huh?

• boyzone
    boyzone

yeah we were ...anything to get around the daft rules.

We brought up our 4 boys with "present day" on our wedding anniversary with presents for them all. Now that we do christmas properly, its kinda nice for hubby and I to reclaim back the wedding anniversary for ourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit