I don't want to die.

by paul from cleveland 66 Replies latest jw friends

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I've been conditioned since childhood that I'm going to live forever. I'm having a hard time contemplating the fact that I'm going to die. I'm so afraid of death that I can't enjoy the life I have now. Is this it? I'm depressed.

• changeling
    changeling

Everything dies. Even planets and stars. You've been taught a lie. Give it some time, it gets better.

For me, accepting that death is natural enhances the preciousness of every moment of life. Don't be afraid. Enjoy. :)

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

If you have accepted the fact you will die, embrace the saying "Eat, drink, be merry, for tommorow....."

It's all perspective, not artificial rules!

• changeling
    changeling

Fear is a debilitating and paralyzing emotion. It keeps us from living up to our full potential.

You look very young. You have your whole life ahead of you. Make sure you get a good education. Read. Learn. Travel. Make friends with people who are different from you. Broaden your mind. Find ways in which you can help others. Be a force for good. :)

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

A great-uncle of mine recently got very sick. He was on life support, and the decision had to be made. When it was time for him to go, it was certainly difficult, but natural. It was the first time I was with someone when they died. When you consider that every human to ever walk the earth has died, the normalcy of it makes it easier to accept mentally. Who knows what comes afterwards, maybe nothing, but at least we get to live once.

Like you, I was conditioned with "millions now living will never die" (changed to "may" die with the latest WT revisionist history) mindset. Of course, I was supposed to be one of those millions. That kind of belief led to a shallow living experience in this world, running around like a chicken with my head cut off between meetings, field service, study, you know the drill. Now is the time to enjoy...

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I have a hard time focusing on anything but the death sentence hanging over my head. How can I put it out of my mind and enjoy my life? I miss the idea of a God that looks out for me. I feel alone.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    I've been conditioned since childhood that I'm going to live forever. I'm having a hard time contemplating the fact that I'm going to die. I'm so afraid of death that I can't enjoy the life I have now. Is this it? I'm depressed.

It's only been recently that I started having disturbing thoughts about my own demise, so I feel for ya. Last I looked though, there isn't much we can do about it. I have hopes of another life after this one is over but I'm not betting money on it.

• changeling
    changeling

Accepting death does not mean giving up on God. Me, I'm an atheist, but not everyone takes that route. But as an atheist, I can personally tell you

that I do not feel alone w/o God. I feel more confident within myself, I'm no longer afraid of the dark and demons, and I no longer put off things

that are important to me because I know I don't have an eternity to get things done.

• changeling
    changeling

I would be remiss, if I did not say that if you have felt depressed for a while and are not getting better, you should speak to your doctor.

Depression is nothing to fool around with.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It's all about PERSPECTIVE. . .

We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.

"To Live at All is Miracle Enough", by Richard Dawkins

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/91

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit