Climate Change (nee Global Warming) Strkes Again!!

by slipnslidemaster 108 Replies latest jw friends

• PEC
    PEC

If water vapor raises global temperature, why is one proposal to slow/stop climate change, to have ships that sail the oceans spraying water vapor into the atmosphere?

Water is the only substance that takes up more volume when it is solid, than when it is liquid. Why are the oceans going to raise significantly, if water take up less volume than ice?

Philip

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Humans are part of nature. So.. if humans cause the earth to heat up - it's nature. :P

If we humans kill ourselves... it's nature. It's not like we'd be the first species to do ourselves in. Just another evolutionary dead-end.

As for the alarmist/extremists on both sides... the facts lay somewhere in the middle. Are we changing the climate? Probably. Will that mean species die? Probably, but species die all the time anyway. Is the sky falling? Probably not.

Should we take no action at all? Probably not.

- Lime

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Pec,

Water is the only substance that takes up more volume when it is solid, than when it is liquid. Why are the oceans going to raise significantly, if
    water take up less volume than ice?

It raises sea level because of the vast mountains of ice that are on both land above the sea level that will melt and thier water will drain into the sea thus raising it's level. It has nothing to do with the volume expansion of freezing water because of the weak hydrogen bonding in H2O.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Hint,

I agree it is all nature because we are a product of such nature and what ever we invent or what ever chemicals we make it is all nature it's just that some peoples definition of nature doesn't include this broader application.

I'm sure that this universe will eventually will disappear in trillions of years and that there are no doubt an infinite amount of universes some like ours and some totally different there may even be parallel universe with some one exactly like you and me conversing over the Internet talking about the same subject using the same words in English. Anything that can happen does happen in Plank time.

The way I look at it is: We all are going to die some day, what ever happens happens and all we can do is try to make the best of it.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

wrong thread

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

It's all nature, of course, but our species is the only one that can consciously manage its environmental impact. That gives us a certain responsibility.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Wrong topic sorry.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Frankiespeakin: ". . . earth's entering into a irreversible warming state . . ."

From what I recall of Lovelocks interview he did not say that Global Warming was irreversible. He suggested that, with the worldwide cooperation of every farmer, agricultural wastes can be turned to biochar and buried. This method of burning retains the carbon in the plant material instead of releasing it as CO2 as ordinary burning. Of course, he did not seem to have much faith that this would be done.

villabolo

• besty
    besty

good questions Pec

Marine cloud whitening is a geo-engineering approach to climate change, focusing primarily on using large scale technology to mitigate the effects of climate change, rather than than reducing GHG emissions in the first place. It seems to me to be more sensible to reduce emissions, yes?

• darthfader
    darthfader

PEC:

The melt-water from ice that is floating in the ocean will not raise the sea level. It's the ice (glaciers) that melts on land that flows into the ocean will raise the level.

Darth Fader

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit