Is the Bible Really Scientifically Accurate?

by FreeAtLast1914 126 Replies latest jw friends

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Some folks are going to look at the evidence and see "65 million" year old skin, blood vessels and hemoglobin parts....because it fits into their belief system.

...and some folks are going to read an old passage in a fictional book written 2000 years ago and see "dinosaurs" between the lines, because it fits into their belief system.

You know what doesn't change? Math. 1 + 1 = 2. Do you know how radiometric dating works? Do you really know, or have you dismissed it as flawed becasue it doesn't fit into your belief system? Do you know the methods, what the researchers look for, and how radioactive decay works? If you've dismissed it, please tell how you came to that conclusion and what particular part of the method you find flawed.

If you do.. then you know it's a matter of math. There are outside influences to consider, sure - but they can be considered, and won't change the results by several orders of magnitude. Do you think an old man-made book about talking snakes and magic fruit disproves the half-life of carbon-14 somehow?

That fossil you presented is 80 million years old. Fossils are interesting because they do defy the natural tendency for things to decay - just like preserving food can make things last much longer. Most dinosaur bones rotted millions of years ago as you'd expect they would. Some were preserved by chance. This isn't a complex concept to grasp (for most people, anyway).

If you want to be deluded fine. But that doesn't mean every viewpoint involves faith or delusion. Science is about finding facts and supporting evidence - not things to beleive in. We say that fossil is 80 million years old be cause the facts support it. It's position in the rock and the amount of carbon decay provide strong, calculated evidence. Another lab across the world can perform the same carbon tests and come out with the same general timeframe without collaberation.

On the other hand, give the bible to two different people, and they'll come up with two very different interpretations.

- Lime

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

olin,

In answer to your so called problems with the bible and science please note the following;

You claim the bible says earth was created in six literal days;

well, you are making an assumption that the bible writers are using "day" to represent a 24 hour period. The truth is we have no idea how long one of God's creative "days" really was. It could mean epochs long for all that we know.

You also claim that Ecclesiastes 1:5 states that the sun revolves around the earth?

My bible does not say that it says " The sun rises and the sun sets,
    and hurries back to where it rises.

This vese says nothing about the sun revolving around the earth, it is talking about the rising and setting of the sun. If you mean the part that says "it hurries back to where it rises" this statement is not literal but figuratively speaking saying that it is like the sun hurries back to where it started.

You claim Genesis 1 says that plants are created before the sun, and so this cannot happen because the plants need the sun. Thus you are saying this is a scientific impossiblity because of photosynthesis.

Well, look at Genesis 1 again;

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." 7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

You will notice from the above that BEFORE plants were created God created Light and Water. First off that light WAS the sun, so he did create the sun prior to plants (vrs3). What he created after plants was a "division between night and day" by putting the two great luminaries into the sky, the sun and the moon.

But let us say you argue that the light was not the sun as some do. Well if so then let me ask you this; Can a person grow a plant indoors with LIGHT and WATER but no sun? Absolutely. I put seedlings under an ordinary lamp and water them all the time and they grow. So this arguement about needing the sun incorrect anyway. You only need a light source and water. Both of which God provided before the vegetation.

Last arguement is about the flood and that waters cannot have reached as high as the tallest peak? Well, you yourself claim that this is "probably" did not happen, yet you provide no postive proof that it did not. Your are making an assumption therefore. And since YOU are not providing any definate proof it could not be possible, I don't need to defend anything here.

Perry,

Great comments!

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

The truth is we have no idea how long one of God's creative "days" really was.

Leave it to scientists then to be accurate.

• Perry
  • AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    It's easy to say that when it goes against science it's to be taken figuratively, but when it agrees with science it must be divinely-inspired.
    It's easy for a "believer" to say that, but is it intellectually honest?

Without responding to anyone in particular, I think this sums it up well, in the original post.

My feelings are, this arguement is fought in a comfy little area occupied by fundamentalists who are very invested in protecting the myth that the bible is a 24/7, always open, always truthful and factual statement authored by God.

Is the Koran scientifically accurate? Is Lord of the Rings scientifically accurate?

If yes, on matters that it touches on science, does that indeed prove that it MUST be correct in its explanations about God, mankind and the universe?

I personally don't believe the bible is a modern statement of scientific facts. Anyone can read it and see that the methods involving science and medicine have improved for the most part since the bible was written. Or would you like to go back to no electricity, not knowing what germs were, etc?

The entire premise, while often bitterly fought (and disingenuously at that by some bible apologists) is a misnomer. The fact is, what the bible occasionally gets right scientifically (if you are so inclined) or gets wrong (if you are so inclined) has little to do with whether it is god speaking.

In other words, the bible isn't a scientific textbook. On matters that it clearly goes against established scientific fact (for example, the length of a day according to god, whatever... Talk to us on our level without the mystery please...) its just that, wrong. I don't need spin by theists to convince me otherwise.

I have low standards for god. He didn't have to include the theory of relativity or basic quantum physics in the bible. He could do a lot more then provide a collection of scrolls that continuously get debated as to their merits. Amazingly, for you theists, God in all his wisdom, is allowing you to totally butcher the evidence. Regardless of whether you think the bible is scientifically accurate or not, god isn't doing a damn thing about much of anything right now.

This world is going to hell in a handbasket on many levels, we are at the least damaging the climate on some level, and yet, still, (STILL) the arguement must be reduced to you believing theists defending why the author of your scientifically accurate letter from god is as you claim it is.

Dear God, if you are reading this, cut the crap. Talk to us. You could do a lot of good instead of letting us hang here, and watching us argue, all because you haven't shown up yet to set the record straight.

On the other hand, your silence speaks volumes. Keep up the good work there. Your minions are doing a splendid job.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    How do you honestly explain away Prophecy?

I don't explain away prophecy. I haven't found anything written in the Bible that needed (or gave evidence of having) supernatural foreknowledge to be written. I looked, but didn't find.

Since I'm a smart enough guy, any web-site that claims 2k bible prophecies have proven true, when I couldn't even find one, is not going to appeal to me; I know immediately that they are engaging in the sort of trickery and self-referential, forgone conclusion argumentation style that my former religion, the Jehovah's Witnesses did. If however, someone wanted to show me one prophecy that shows real evidence of supernatural foreknowledge, I'd be fascinated to research it, and it would in fact be proof of a supernatural being to me. (the web-site you linked infers that said being could be Satan, but that is a topic for another discussion).

So if you want to, bring on the prophecy you think has the strongest evidence and let me research and discuss it here.

• Perry
    Perry
    We say that fossil is 80 million years old be cause the facts support it. It's position in the rock and the amount of carbon decay provide strong, calculated evidence. Another lab across the world can perform the same carbon tests and come out with the same general timeframe without collaberation.

Lime,

So, it's the position in the geologic column and the carbon decay that provided the 80 million year date....I see.

There are many places on earth where fosillized trees are found intersecting many layers of rock that are 'dated' by the geologic column at tens of millions of years. Some of them are upside down, too. These are known as "polystrate fossils", and show clearly that the geologic column is a hoax. (Unless those trees managed to stay there for millions of years while sediment was deposited around them.

It also doesn't help that there are places where the layers are completely upside down. Hundreds of square miles of deposits that are in reverse order!

How about the Smithsonian just doing some double blind carbon dating tests on those dinosaur soft tissues without telling them they were in 65 - 80 million year old rock.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Perry,

do you have more information about what you stated above? If so I would be interested in seeing it. Please pm me, thanks Lilly

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    These are known as "polystrate fossils", and show clearly that the geologic column is a hoax.

Just a quick visit to wikipedia should clear up any curiosity as to how those structures get preserved...

...except for people who want to believe in the big "science is satan" conspiracy.

- Lime

• Perry
    Perry

Ok Mark I'll play.

What about this one in Isaiah 9: 6-7 Here it is prophesied that a man was going to be born called God

For unto us a child is born , unto us a son is given : and the government shall be upon his shoulder : and his name shall be called Wonderful , Counsellor , The mighty God , The everlasting Father , The Prince of Peace .

Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end , upon the throne of David , and upon his kingdom , to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever . The zeal of the L ORD of hosts will perform this.

Here is where it happened.

Matt. 1: 22,23

Now all this was done , that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet , saying ,
    Behold , a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son , and they shall call his name Emmanuel , which being interpreted is , God with us .

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. - John

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit