Does anyone find it too painful to read the WTS publications?

by dissed 44 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I only look at it online when someone has posted a new article that has juicy cult tidbits or introduces "new light".

It is painful to try to read. I look at it and I wonder how I ever accepted this claptrap as communication from God.

I've always considered myself a fairly clever fellow. I was always able to pick out scams and shams fairly easily in every other aspect of life, yet wouldn't allow my questions or doubts about the Society to surface for many years.

It's embarrassing in a way, so now when I look at a WT or Awake magazine it just brings back painful memories of trying to accept this shit as genuine.

It makes you wonder, "how could I have been so stupid?", but it's not being stupid or ignorant...it's being trapped in a cult. We were indoctrinated, fooled. It can happen to anyone, even one who thinks they're clever enough to spot scams.

• JAFO
    JAFO

25 years out, and it's still like dragging coarse sandpaper across an open wound.

Listening to recordings is even worse..

• Emma
    Emma

Not painful but nauseating. Literally.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i would rather eat dirt
    or take a beating than
    have to re-engage with
    the mindset that permitted
    me to browbeat the aspirations
    of my children and judge ordinary
    people with arrogant contempt....

i would have to raise my opinion
    of the b0rg to hold it in contempt....

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I just don't care anymore.

• Walkin
    Walkin

Why I could not read between the lines back then was the "CARROT" was blindsiding me. But now, the "Comments You Will Not Hear" articles from Blondie have demolished the carrot and I can read between the lines.

• Walkin
    Walkin

Where did that avatar come from ? I did not put that there.

• blondie
  • tjlibre
    tjlibre

I’ve been on the “awaken” track for at least a year and a few months. I’ve always read the WT’s publication faithfully, I was always well prepared for the meeting and my WT study articles were well researched (of course…within the WT’s confinements and analytical thinking restrictions). But for the last two months or so, I’ve don’t find any enjoyment in reading ANY of the WT publication. I don’t even bother to review the KM material, congregation book study lesson, etc. I’ve limited my meeting “preparation” to just the assigned bible chapters for the TMS, but I read the NIV bible and verses commentaries from non-WT publications. Maybe some of us are throwing the “baby with the bath water” because at times, there are good and decent articles in the WT publications. But the way I feel is that I need to keep my mind and heart as far as possible from the JW’s general language, predictable conclusions, thinking pattern and mental influence.

• MarkSutter
    MarkSutter

anyone who doesn't have an avatar is given one of those little monster thingies...there's a few threads about them. Recent stuff.

I don't even read the bible. The watchtower stuff even less, I can't stand their haughty attitude. They've stumbled so many times it's not even funny yet don't even feel the need to apologize. Who do they think they are anyway..god?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit