Making Sense of God's Silence

by lovelylil2 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Some people do not just read about God in a book.

One Native American told a Christian Missionary "your people read about God in the pages of a book, But my people experience God in the wind, in the rain and in all of nature".

I think even when God is seemingly silent, he is speaking to us through all his creations. Peace, Lilly

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

,parting the Red Sea,

Actually the Red Sea never parted..

It`s also known as the Reed Sea ..

Its very shallow and marshy in one section,when the tide go`s out..

And..Can be crossed on foot..

Mose`s intimate knowledge of that area,allowed him to know when to cross..

Napoleane crossed his troops at the same spot..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• Chalam
    Chalam

God isn't silent but some people just aren't listening or able to hear

Psalm 135:17 Isaiah 42:20 Jeremiah 6:10 Matthew 11:15 Matthew 13:43 Acts 28:27

Blessings,

Stephen

• startingover
    startingover

You don't need a god to be a good person and help others. What's the difference between a non believer who tries to make the world a better place to live and a believer who does the same thing on their own since their god is silent? I contend you don't need a god if you think your own efforts are what will eliminate the problems that exist.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    P Sac,
    So when Atheists do something altruistic that is God ? Do you see God as you look at the atheist ?
    Love
    Wobble

Yes.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

bump

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    I posted this link because I thought it may help people who have honest Q's about God's silence.

Lil, I respect your beliefs (I can't say I am familiar with them as I write this), but I wanted to share a problem I have with attempts at explaining gods silence. It is, that it comes from the same place as those who would say god is speakiing. Does that make sense?

By that, I mean we have people, groups, churches, all with their own individual agendas. Not all of them are inherently bad. That isn't the point to me. If the motives are good, that doesn't mean their conclusions are accurate.

Thus, when I read a question like the one you forward about God's silence, I take it at once as an attempt at honesty, in that it is an admission that God hasn't spoken to mankind at large. Yet at the same time, the premise is, "God exists, he just hasn't talked... yet."

I don't mean for this to be insulting to you or your beliefs. I think about this often. What I personally lack in the way of an answer to this question is very simple evidence.

Lil, already, you are more of a real person to me then God, simply because you have communicated. Is it too much to ask of God to do the same? I don't think so.

I appreciate the philisophical and theological attempts at explaining the question. It is a good mind stretcher. For me, unfortunately, because the premise is inaccurate, it doesn't approach a satisfactory answer in my case.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

God isn't silent!

He told me to bbq a steak for dinner tonight.

And you know what?

I obeyed, and it was delicious!

The Oracle

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

jeff,

Thanks for your comments. I wasn't asking a question though on this thread. The making sense of God's silence is actually a four part lecture series that Plain Truth Ministries has on their website. I was simply bringing attention to it.

On a personal note, but not to get too offtrack here on the subject, I do not think God is silent. I think he speaks to us in the way the Bible says he does which is thru his creations, thru his word, more importantly thru the life and ministry of his Son Jesus, and thru his Holy Spirit that dwells in all believers.

however, many people who do not have intimate fellowship with God like the church does often ask "why God is silent". That is why the PTM Ministry is addressing that Q this week with their lectures. Which btw for those interested can be downloaded in mp3 form for free.

So again, I personally do not believe God is silent. Peace, Lilly

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Lilly

Thanks for sharing your point of view. I can only say that God has been silent in my case. With all respect to you, it feels fraudulent to me to have to have "experiences" or emotions with a thousand possible explanations have to be packaged by man as god speaking to me. I am familiar with many different theological attempts at trying to point out how god "speaks". At best, it is miming, if I might be allowed to have a definition of "speaking" that involves actual speaking.

However, that isn't the point of this, and I wish you peace in your beliefs. Thank you for the opportunity to share my thoughts on the matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit