The book,In Search of Christian Freedom

by pat1060 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alanv
    alanv

I would just add that anyone with any special privileges in the cong. ie Elders, Mini Servants or pioneers would not stay in those positions very long if they refused to share in the house to house work.

The book is excellent. (except for it's size of over 700 pages) Every witness or ex witness should read it. It is a real eye opener.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The thing that struck me was the was the way the GB worked and arrived at decisions. I was in a rather dysfunctional body of elders when I read the book, and wondered if this normal. When I realsed the GB operated in the same way, it reaffirmed that this is not a "spirit directed organisation" but a man made one led by a group of delusioned despots.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sorry getting mixed up with CofC

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I read both his books. Every time i read it something new was put to light. The double standards the GB uses, the was they Df if you have a question....

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I actually just finished re-reading C of C. ISOCF is a great followup!

• pat1060
    pat1060

TD.....Thanks for explaining it.You put it in words much better then I can....start questioning any teachings,and see where it gets us...thanks for all your comments.I agree the book is huge.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

What stood out about ISOCF for me was how well Ray put the perspective of a "personal relationship" with God.

Many say they have this relationship, but they just do what they are told and take other peoples word for it and think that by praying to God with some predetermined "script" that it means they have a relationship with God.

Ray really makes it clear how Jesus wanted us to persure that very personal "father to child" relationship with God.

Hence the focus on "Father" over and supposed "name" that God could have.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Pat,

another point of WT deceptions:

From the NWT:

Acts 5:42 42 And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.

This is used as one so-called proof-text that the apostles preached in the same door to door fashion as JWs today. However...

Acts 2:46: (also out of the NWT): 46 And day after day they were in constant attendance at the temple with one accord, and they took their meals in private homes and partook of food with great rejoicing and sincerity of heart,

Please notice the words I emboldened in each verse. These emboldened words are translated from the IDENTICAL Greek term, in the identical tense. Why the different translation?? Because the WT wants 5:42 to indicate a door to door activity, but if they translate this term the same way in 2:46 it would make it obvious that it does not mean door to door as done by JWs, but simply the homes of beleivers. It is obvious that the 1st century Christians did not have meals of worship in each and every home in a row of homes...so they mask the usage of the term between those two verses to make it more difficult for a JW to see the connection.

They do this same thing on dfing.

1 Cor 5:11: 11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.

This 'proof-text' is then incorrectly linked with 2 John 9 which says:

9 Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him. 11 For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.

However, the previous verses speak of one who denies Jesus coming in the flesh- NOT expelled sinners from the cong.

JWs treat dfed persons as an enemy, spiritually dead.

And they do some masking to prevent a JW from making a connection to a key scripture that refutes their stance on dfing:

2 Thess 3:13-14 says 13 For YOUR part, brothers, do not give up in doing right. 14 But if anyone is not obedient to our word through this letter, keep this one marked, stop associating with him, that he may become ashamed. 15 And yet do not be considering him as an enemy, but continue admonishing him as a brother

Again, we have an identical Greek term used in 1 Cor 5:11 and 2 Thess 3;14 translated with a different phrase to avoid connection. Why? Because 2 Thess 3:15 says to do exactly what the WT teaches not to do. The WT then claims WITH NO BASIS WHATSOEVER that 2 Thes is speaking of lesser sins and create their own concept of marking. Nothing at all in 2 Thess indicates lesser sins than 1 Cor 5:11. 1 Cor names specific sins while 2 Thess speaks generally of not being obedient to the doctrine. The situations mimick each other, and 2nd Thess tells us how to treat the person.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

or how about Jesus own words about the fashion in which he preached:

John 18 of the NWT:

19 And so the chief priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and about his teaching. 20 Jesus answered him: “I have spoken to the world publicly. I always taught in a synagogue and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and I spoke nothing in secret.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Fact is, in regards to house-to-house, if a person chooses to do that, that is fine and even if an oganization uses that as a trade mark for their preaching, that is fine too.

But to say that it is based on scripture and that Jesus and his apostles did it, that is juts not true and what is not true is a lie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit