The book,In Search of Christian Freedom

by pat1060 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pat1060
    pat1060

I have been reading the book In Search of Christian Freedom by R Franz.I just finished the chapter on the house to house ministry....Unbelieveble. He shows a totally different way of explaining the scriptures.I never realized how much the GB slants every thing to it's teachings.They need the NWT to do this.If you haven't read this book,you really should.What I'm wondering if you have read it,what stands out for you....

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Hi Pat,

Do you believe going house to house is not scriptural? I ask because in my area Mormons and Baptists come around on a regular basis.

• pat1060
    pat1060

Yes I have heard of Baptists going from house to house,and of corse the Mormons do.But in the Wt they teach it means your life to go.In the book Ray Franz is showing that there were other ways to do the preaching work.The scriptures show that going from house to house can have other meaning that the GB teaches,that is the main way of doing the ministry no matter who you are...

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Pat,

Are you saying the Watchtower teaches that JWs must preach door to door in order to have life? What about informal witnessing and phone witnessing etc, those don't count now?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My old congregation was counseled by several COs about door-to-door. They said at least 50% of our preaching had to be door-to-door while other forms should make up the remainder. They were nice enough to say that didn't apply to the physically challenged. I don't recall the society ever putting that in print though.

They never actually said our lives depended on it.

W

• pat1060
    pat1060

Any kind of witnessing,family,neighbors,street work witnessing,but the most important is the house to house ministry.This is what is pushed on the RF.Have you read the book.

• pat1060
    pat1060

Maybe I haven't worded things right,this chapter on the house to house ministry was very interesting.I just wondered if any one Else is enjoying the book.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Pat,

"Any kind of witnessing,family,neighbors,street work witnessing,but the most important is the house to house ministry"

Yes, I agree. For the JWs witnessing is very important.

• TD
    TD
    Are you saying the Watchtower teaches that JWs must preach door to door in order to have life?

The JW claim is that the Greek expression used at Acts 5:42; 20:20, kat' oikous which could be translated as "House to house" is a direct reference to the JW's principle method of proselytizing, which is to start at one end of the street and go from door to consecutive door until one has reached the end of the street. (cf. The Watchtower July 1, 1955; July 15 1979)

As Franz and others have observed, this is forcing Scripture into a preconceived mold (In this case JW organizational procedure) where it does not really fit:

1. There is no record that either Jesus or the Apostles used this method to preach. The Biblical record is that they would preach in a public place, like a Synagogue or marketplace first, and then visit the homes of any who were interested.

2. Houses and doors are not exactly the same thing. Going from the home of one interested person to the next is not the same thing as going from door to consecutive door where there was no previous invitation.

3. The Greek expression is not used in these verses as a correlative and therefore does not imply consecutivity.

Of course there is nothing wrong with what the Witnesses do and as you have observed, it is not absolutely mandatory to preach in this fashion.

At the same time though, a Witness that personally felt that going from door to door cheapens the ministry and reduces Christians to the status of itenerant peddlers would do well to keep that opinion to themselves, because it is taught that this method has direct Biblical support.

• wobble
    wobble

A Great book from Ray,

well worth a read by all exiting the WT cult.

It helps you move on.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit