How fast can you "prepare" a Watchtower lesson?

by Open mind 57 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I never realized anyone noticed stuff like that. And I really don't care what anyone thinks if I appear to have studied the lesson or not. Actually,you are supposed to look up some extra info. in the Insight book or reference Bible. They give some crazy comments at my hall though. It's pretty entertaining.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Even my dub parents never made me "study" a Watchtower before the meeting that "discussed" it. I read along at the meeting; that was enough. The articles weren't exactly rocket science.

• JAFO
    JAFO

Holy shit! haven't even thought of this for years since the day I left... there were quite a few times i did the random underlining bit and had it all marked up in about 3 mins flat.. I'd actually do a few paragraphs "correctly" (subtly marked so I'd know remember which ones were genuine) so that I'd have some opportunities to parrot the party line to the audience.. (gotta be seen to be participating)

Highlighters? Hah! damn, you late leavers had it easy, what with all that high-tech gadgetry.. rulers and 2 or even 3 colours of pen were the order of the day in the '70s and '80s when I was "in"..

kids these days have it too easy.. grumble.. mutter..

@ gary.. hell yeah! not just from the appointed congregational busybodies either.. in my family we used to catch hell from our mother and step-father if we weren't properly "prepared" for the study.. that's where I first developed my "quick-study" technique..

• teel
    teel
    I don't understand why a witness even needs to 'study' beforehand.

1. Repetition is a very powerful mind control technique.

Repetition is a very powerful mind control technique.

1 a) What is a powerful mind control technique? b) How powerful is it?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Five minutes if my hamster is on a sugar high

• Decided
    Decided

I was the WT study conductor for years and if I remember correctly at one time we would read the paragraph first and then ask the question.

Maybe because some couldn't read.

Ken

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Zero. After a while, it got so I could pick the answers out of the paragraph even as it was being read. My excuse is that I didn't like cluttering up something by highlighting and underlining it--which made it look sloppy and more difficult to read. And eventually, I didn't even need that because they all say the same thing.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Decided:

if I remember correctly at one time we would read the paragraph first and then ask the question.

I think you probably mean the other way round. When I was a wee lad and dinosaurs roamed the earth, the question would be asked and answered first. Once the paragraph was all done being parroted by the audicence, then the paragraph would be read. The further dumbing-down process of JWs in the l1970's (I think) saw a change to reading the paragraph first, then having the audience comment. It was this change that let us kids know that we could get away without being prepared and still just read/hear the answer as the paragraph was read, pop up a quick hand and be done with commenting duty for that meeting. Of course, this wasn't good enough for our parents, so the high-speed underlining process came next.

My parents tell me that in the real bad old days, (1940's, 1950's?) JWs were expected to be fully prepared because the conductor could call on ANYONE he chose without warning.

om

• parakeet
    parakeet

LOL, Black Sheep. That is the very best way to prepare a Watchtower for impressionable minds.

To Black Sheep's "hamster" -- You're doing a noble work. Be sure to count your hours.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

It's been a long time since I've had to do this/think about it, but isn't the first answer within the first two sentences of the paragraph?

If there was a part "B", wasn't it in the second half of the paragraph?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit