How fast can you "prepare" a Watchtower lesson?

by Open mind 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Open Mind,

I never thought of holding both pages open to only yourself...hmmm, then the only person that could see your pages was you! Of course, if one of the elders came over after the WT study to "quiz" you on a paragraph that had been studied that day...why...it was amazingly studied of course.

With your method, the cat's out of the bag...LOL!

• Bystander39
  • Bystander39
  • Thirdson
    Thirdson

10 minutes marking anything in yellow highlighter, 15 minutes if I actually found the answers. I once hadn't highlighted my copy and was asked to read. I declined stating, honestly, I hadn't prepared. (I could have read it better than most without ever pre-reading a paragraph) The PO stormed off to ask someone else. I was dropped from the rota and wasn't asked to read again for 3 years by which time I had been an elder for a year).

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

"sticky notes" great idea!

• garyneal
    garyneal

Is this for real? Seems the more and more I look at this religion, the more and more ridiculous it looks. Are you are actually saying that if your WT article isn't highlighted/underlined before the meeting, they tend to look down on you?

I remember going to a meeting with my wife a few years ago and she did not have a WT. Since she did not have the WT, she was not sure how to answer the questions. I told her to simply listen to what is being read, the answer is in there. A light bulb went off in her head and she actually managed to answer a question. She later told one of the 'sisters' about it and they were like, wow isn't that nice of your husband to suggest that.

During my 'study' with the witnesses, I picked up on this point early on. I don't understand why a witness even needs to 'study' beforehand.

• Open mind
    Open mind

garyneal: "Is this for real? ... Are you are actually saying that if your WT article isn't highlighted/underlined before the meeting, they tend to look down on you?"

Absolutely. A few years ago our congregation was running low on microphone runners and had tons of elders. For a while, some of the elders ran microphones and one old timer elder actually said that he liked doing it because he could covertly see who had "prepared" i.e. underlined, and who hadn't.

om

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

This is funny... I did that 2 minutes random underlining thing too... Then I'd conduct the WT

• garyneal
    garyneal

Reminds me of the silly rules I encountered when I first became involved in Christianity to start with. For about a year off and on, I was attending one of the larger Southern Baptist churches in my home town. I remember the pastor's son began doing the 'running man' dance as we were leaving the service. His mom immediately told him to stop that right now in a loud commanding tone. I recall later at the IF baptist church I was attending later one of the ladies telling me that Christians are not allowed to dance.

Hmmm, where in the Bible does it ever state, "Thou shalt not dance?"

This afternoon, I saw my wife 'studying' her watchtower magazine. I don't really see the point in that exercise since the answers are right in the paragraphs and all anyone has to do is parrot them.

Where in the Bible does it ever state, "Thou shalt study your WT articles and underline the answers before coming to your christian meetings?"

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Five minutes? Are you actually trying to do a good job ?

I remember a few times when I studied mine in less than a minute. Just used a highlighter and made random markings. Went back with a pencil and circles some of the bible verses and quotes. Looked great!

I remember one Elder who was always kissing ass, trying to climb the WTS ladder. He would study his with his wife, in the KH parking lot, 1/2 hour before the meeting. The highlighters and pens never worked so fast!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit