How "worldly" people REALLY view Jehovah's Witnesses

by HappyGuy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

To me, I don't go around wondering what everyone else's religion is. Never really have. Do others do that with me? No.

Thus, JW's are irrelevant legends in their own mind. They are the biggest game in their little isolated town.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I watched "Community" Thursday night, the black character admitted to being a jw and said that jws don't drink . I told my hubby I think the writers of the show were confused or misinformed. Most folks on the outside don't really know diddly about the bOrg.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Mrs. Jones,

I saw that. He also said the drinking helps.

Maybe the writers know more than you think....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Ah, missed that. Makes sense now and both my mother and the writers I think...

• dgp
    dgp

Well, quite often I feel I am not really qualified to contribute to the forum, but this time I am a hell of a lot qualified to speak to you, guys. I am a worldly guy, have always been, and always will be.

I think everyone has contributed with something.

I'm sure it's not difficult to understand that, we worldly sons of Satan being like seven billion, Jehovah's witnesses are not seen in one single and simple way. There's plenty of different opinions about Jehovah's witnesses.

When I was a kid and the witnesses came to my door to preach, I felt they were religious people who preached a mistaken religion and that was it. I used to take some magazines from the elderly ladies who were giving them to me, gave a small contribution, and that was it. I had some witness classmates and we used to think the guys were cool. No particular animosity against them, EXCEPT when they became pushy and tried to force us to think the way they thought. That was when no one knew what to say in order no to hurt the friends, but all the same tell them we were not interested.

There are some people who think of witnesses as fanatics who do such things as abstaining from a life-saving blood transfusion and read the Watchtower.

The very religious think of Jehovah's witnesses as Satan himself. These cunning, incredibly pushy guys with their ties (even in very hot weather), always trying to sell you a magazine, who translated the Bible with a clear bias and now believe their own bias.

Some people don't worry about Jehovah's witnesses at all. They are simply people who knock on your door, and you have to get rid of them as soon as possible. Quite often you will pretend not to be at home; I'm sure you know it. It's not that we have something against you, but that we would like to avoid a problem. If you ever watched "Coming to America", with Eddie Murphy, you will realize that the golddigger father, John Amos, I think, slammed the door at the rich guy and claimed it was only "a Jehovah's witness".

As Mrs. Jones said, most of us have no clue about what the society really is and how it damages people. For example, an elderly lady who is my neighbor had no idea that witnesses don't believe in the Holy Spirit, with capital letters, but in the holy spirit. She was shocked to hear that.

If we the worldlies knew what goes on, many of us would help you out. So, if you, my reader, are a lurker, please know that we're not out there to take advantage of you. We will help you if you put enough trust in us, and if you tear down that wall that separates you from us and let us into your hearts.

When we get in touch with you, and get to appreciate the values in you, we don't believe they are due to what the society teaches. We don't believe you're the way you are just because you do as you're told. We feel very sorry that your lives are wasted in obedience to a publishing company. We are absolutely shocked to hear that some of you refuse to take a transfusion and prefer to die. We DON'T GET IT. We would like to help you out IF ONLY you were willing to.

Perhaps the only time that very severe criticism of Jehovah's witnesses is made is when a parent lets a child die rather than give him a transfusion. We don't understand how a loving parent would do that. Sorry if this hurts anyone, but that's the truth.

• carpediem
    carpediem

Worldtraveller - what I said wasnt inaccurate. I was/am shunned. I was told I was an apostate for joining the witnesses and that as I had 'forsaken Jesus' then my friends could no longer talk to me. They havent since I have been a witness. It is nothing to do with witnessing to them. When I first joined jws I tried to, but was bombarded with stuff from them - books, magazines, tracts and goodness knows what else. Then when that didnt work they shunned me. I live in a small village where my old church friends walk past me and dont talk, just like the witnesses will at some point in the future. I dont think it would have been a problem had I just left. It was specifically bec I became a dub.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I never really knew what people thought about JW's when I was one other than I was convinced we were marked as crazed fanatics. When I was exposed to my wife's church, all they ever spoke about JW's w. as that they were a misguided Christian cult that needed to be shown love and shown in the Bible where they are in error. No ranting about them being from Satan, just misled. All of my friends are a bit surprised I was a JW (they thought I was too smart to fall for that). They just think it is a weird religion that wakes people up on the weekend. I have only experienced a truly nasty person who hated JW's once or twice. I agree with the previous posters...most people don't even think about JW's unless they are being annoyed by them at their door!

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I never understood why field service was at 9 AM on a Saturday morning. Why not 2 in the afternoon? Or noon? Or 4 PM on Sunday?

People just LOVE being woken up or bothered on their one day off.

• moshe
    moshe

The world view= JW's are a pathetic bunch of parasitic losers. They wear a big kick me sign on their arse and then complain about the world persecuting them.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

This topic reminds me of the pictures they'd have in the Watchtower of families or individual schoolchildren praying in the open: everyone turned around, sneers on their faces, eyebrows wrinkled in disgust, children pointing and laughing, old men waving their hands dismissively at them.

The reality is, no one gives a crap about praying in the open, as long as you do it quietly.

On other occasions I would try to tell interested strangers my experiences with the Witnesses, and very few of them knew what I was talking about. The conversation would go something like this:

"You used to be a Jeho....what?"

"You know, the people who knock on your door."

"Oh....that's never happened to me."

"Right, but at least you know about them."

"Sort of...."

Way to go, boldly preaching the kingdom for 130 years! No one knows who you are! As has been said by others, you are legends in your own minds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit