Written Reviews...what did you really do during them?

by xeracia 34 Replies latest jw friends

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

For one thing attendance was always very low on written review night. I used to try to answer the questions and think to myself "how could I have sat through all this information and not remember "any" of it"? I guess it was my brain's protective mechanism. Now they call it the oral review, even with the fancy new name, many folks just skip that night.

• Casper
    Casper

Always tried to do my best... sometimes I would forget to study for it.

Oh well, since we graded our own, no one ever knew.

I actually loved them because it was at least something different.

Good point, Ilovebirthdays...

Cas

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I remember thinking that anyone visiting for the first time must think we are bannana peel slip away from being like the Druids. I hated the sound of silence as we wrote down the answers like we were in 3rd grade. Hated it! I always thought this was weird. Belatedly, they changed it to the oral review.

The Oral Review: The only legal "oral" thing JW's can engage in.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The rustling of bible pages was louder

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

My buddy and I used to make fun of the box at the end that was basically a scoring scale:

25-30 Excellent

20-25 Very Good

etc......

we used to make up our own versions:

25-30 You Looked Up The Answers

20-25 You Didnt Look Up All The Answers

etc.....

• chickpea
    chickpea

usually had studied for them
    and "inculcated" my children
    so they would be able to raise
    their hands to answer when
    the review was "graded"

what a dolt!!!

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I remember too when your sheet was marked by the MS Servant, later we marked eachothers, then our own ,am I correct ?

Thats the way I remember it also. My Dad was TMS Servant and took all the papers home to mark and grade them. He used a red pen and gave a % total correct at the top just like at school. I am surprised they didn't give out little gold,silver or bronze stars at the top.

It seems to me that major questions had a value up to 4 or 5 % so if your answer was partially correct you still received some value for the question.

The true or false questions were 1% each as I remember it. A lot of the kids especially took "lucky guesses" to see if we could run up our score.

The next step was handing it over to the person next to you to grade and then they "trusted" us enough to do it ourselves.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I don't remember doing that at all.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Oh, and when the CO visited during the written test, he'd grade the kids' tests and give them all stickers at the end.

I looked forward to those nights because it was cool to just sit there in silence. It was cool to not have to listen to (as many) boring talks that night.

Now that I look back, how freaking weird is it that we used to belong to a cult that graded their members on the doctrine???

• blondie
    blondie

I remember when they were harder...where you did not get the questions before you walked into the door that night. I can remember when you passed them to the next person to grade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit