A Sister and a Brother alone

by Lilycurly 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• deep-blue-sea
    deep-blue-sea

In our old Europe, in one of the Mediterranean country this is the mentality: women do not go out with somone else than the husband or their father. Women do not drive if their husbans is aside!

So applying to JW, sisters do not go in the field service with brothers, only with sisters!

Extending the problem...when we were very close to the family of my husbands' assistant of circuit assembly, we were used, to go to their place and stay for the week-end. Our children (girls and boy) were used to sleep in their separate rooms at home, but when a family of 5 goes to someone's else house, they can generally provide 2 bedrooms, one for parents, one for children, ok? Well after some time, he realized that: it is not good for brothers to sleep in the same room than his sister.....so, in my house, one of them will sleep on the sofa!!!!!.....

What do you think our children would do during the night????? We said. Well nothing, he said...but you never know, I wish only to avoid problems under my roof!!!!!

Don't you think this is the reflect of exceptional and awkwardly placed zeal ?

Claudia

• processor
    processor

From the April 15, 1909 Watchtower (page 127):

MY SOLEMN VOW TO GOD

OUR Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. May thy rule come into my heart more and more, and thy will be done in my mortal body. Relying on the assistance of thy promised grace to help in every time of need, through Jesus Christ our Lord, I register this Vow. Daily will I remember at the throne of heavenly grace the general interests of the harvest work, and particularly the share which I myself am privileged to enjoy in that work, and the dear co-laborers at the Brooklyn Bethel, and everywhere.

I Vow to still more carefully, if possible, scrutinize my thoughts and words and doings, to the intent that I may be the better enabled to serve thee, and thy dear flock.

I Vow to thee that I will be on the alert to resist everything akin to Spiritism and Occultism, and that, remembering that there are but the two masters, I shall resist these snares in all reasonable ways, as being of the Adversary.

I further Vow that, with the exceptions below, I will at all times and at all places, conduct myself toward those of the opposite sex in private exactly as I would do with them in public--in the presence of a congregation of the Lord's people, and so far as reasonably possible I will avoid being in the same room with any of the opposite sex alone, unless the door to the room stand wide open:--In the case of a brother--wife, children, mother and sisters excepted. In the case of a sister--husband, children, father and brothers excepted.
  • Latte
    Latte

I used to take this JW rule to heart and alway's felt uncomfortable if I was alone with a guy...sigh!

You guys are soo funny!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Here ya go Lily

Elder's manual "PAY ATTENTION TO YOURSELVES AND TO ALL THE FLOCK" PDF

Cheers

Chris

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What are they, morphing to Islam? This sounds like some of the hard core Muslim religions' doctrine.

• Gregor
    Gregor

But what if a Sister got her toe stuck in the faucet? Wouldn't it be the Brotherly thing to do to help her?

• iMARX
    iMARX

Isn't there loads of this rubbish in the YPA book and on the new video they released.

I'm not sure where it says it in the bible but there'll be loads of WT citations in the Young People Ask book.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Lil, Here's something.

*** km 5/97 p. 2 Question Box ***
    ? What cautions are needed when we are in association with someone of the opposite sex in connection with our ministry?

We have reason to expect that our brothers and sisters intend to adhere to the highest moral standard in their personal conduct. Nevertheless, we live in an unclean and permissive world that has few moral limitations. While we may have the best of intentions, we must be on guard constantly to avoid causing reproach or getting involved in something improper. This includes being careful while engaged in the ministry.

In field service we often encounter people of the opposite sex who manifest what appears to be a sincere interest in the truth. If we are alone when we make the call and there is no one else at home, usually it would be best to give a witness at the door rather than go inside. If there is interest, arrangements can be made to return when we will be accompanied by another publisher or when others in the household will be present also. If this is not possible, it would be wise to turn the call over to a publisher of the same sex as the householder. This also applies to conducting Bible studies with someone of the opposite sex.—Matt. 10:16.

We need to be careful when choosing someone to work with in the ministry. Although publishers of the opposite sex may work together at times, this is best done when with a group. Ordinarily, even while in the ministry, it is not wise for us to be spending time alone with someone of the opposite sex who is not our marriage mate. Hence, the brother in charge of the service group should use good judgment when assigning publishers, including teenagers, to work together.

By always using good judgment, we will avoid “giving any cause for stumbling” to either ourselves or others.—2 Cor. 6:3.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

And another...

*** w98 1/15 p. 15 par. 9 Keep On Walking With God ***
    Even association with fellow believers under wrong circumstances can lead to serious problems. The attraction between the sexes is strong. With loving concern Jehovah’s organization has therefore cautioned against being alone and out of public view with someone of the opposite sex to whom we are not married or who is not a family member. In order to keep on walking with God, we need to shun the snare of self-confidence and heed the warning counsel that he gives us.—Psalm 85:8.

• cantleave
    cantleave

If only it REALLY was that easy to get a girl into bed . I susppose the pulling power of the HS on the GB members makes them irresistable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit