Why do Ex-JWs start celebrating pagan Christmas?

by DubR 221 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

I think pagan in a religious sense means prior to Christianity. Not all things pagan are bad.

People have to decide for themselves which days or customs to obeserve and this decision is based on their own consciences.

From a Christian point of view, this is actually a biblical also. Paul points this out in Romans 14. What I found interesting with this chapter since leaving the WT is the realization that it is the person(s) who are fearful of observing certain days, thinking they will offend God by it that Pauls calls "weak in the faith". Those stronger in the faith understand that we are free to observe all days and customs as long as we do it 'unto the Lord" and do not use this time for an excuse for misconduct.

Now, DubR, I am of course not applying this to you, only to my fellow believers. So please do not take offense. However, you should know that in "real" Christianity we are as free to use our conscience in observing certain days as you are as a non believer. That is people cannot lump all Chrisitans into the same pot.

Its funny because the WT's view of pagan days and that Christians should not observe them does not hold up to bible scrutiny. It is just their narrow view and one way they purposely seperate themselves from fellow believers. Peace, lilly

• DubR
    DubR

Thank you for your knowledge beksbks. Pagan means hick or outsider. I guess I was actually asking something stupid like "Why do Ex-Jws start celebrating villager Christmas." LMAO dont I feel stupid now!!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

what did you get D/Fed for DubR?

• DubR
    DubR

Jookbeard, i got disfellowshipped for fornication and not being willing to break off communication with my girlfriend (now wife). You can see my whole story in my first post on this website.

EVERYONE I HAVE PERSONALLY OFFENDED...I AM SORRY!! That is one thing about me if you know me, if I am wrong about something I will admit it. I didn't realize it but I did come off condemning in my earlier post but it was out of anger. I am only 24yrs old and not even a year ago I thought JW was the only true religion and know I dont believe in the Bible (I have been through alot and have alot of anger build up inside). But I want to keep growing in knowledge, making sure what I believe is correct, so in that process I am sorry that I was self-righteous. I just realized that I didn't need to find a justification for celebrating Christmas. I really shouldnt have cared anyway it goes being agnostic but I guess that was still control going on. I have a couple of weeks to decide to celebrate Christmas this year but all of you guys posts have helped me. Thank you all and I am sorry...

DubR

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Why would anyone have issues with pagans?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

...depends on what you mean by 'celebrating'. Many exJW's don't celebrate in the sense that they don't see the need for presents and a whack of decorations...but many do enjoy the spirit and tradition of being with family and friends, a good meal, a drink, maybe watching the parades etc. Many were taught that all those relationships were wrong and all those people bad association...so now that they realize all the reasons for that disassociation were nothing but a pile of controlling crap, they are finally able to shed their prejudice and fear, and enjoy what people bring to their lives. No more guilt. No more fear. The reality that your FAMILY doesn't mean JW family that turn their backs on you in the blink of an eye, but rather your worldly family who, although, you ignored for many years, are there to welcome you with open arms and forgiveness.

In other words, they don't want to live their lives under the cult control and lies any longer and seek to find out for themselves what is truth and what is real - the world. sammieswife.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Thank you all and I am sorry...DubR

We`ve decided to let you keep your Head..

Image hosting by Photobucket

It was a "Group Decision"..

........................... ...OUTLAW

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

We have a Christmas tree and some gifts, nothing too much and we tell the little ones that Santa is a story of a man that a long time ago gave gifts to kids that had no gifts, were either poor or orphans.

I tell me oldest that Jesus was probably not born in December but that it doesn't matter when he was born since he was born of God before God created the world anyways.

I explain that Christmas is a time to think of love and family.

• LatinxJW
  • DubR
    DubR

Thank you Sammieswife! That post makes alot of sense now that I have a different viewpoint.

Outlaw-Ouch but I guess I deserve that! Im really sorry for the insulting comments earlier. And actually a couple of your post you made about me (jerkin off and blah blah blah) were crackin me up. I deserved those too lol

Psacramento thanks for all your comments. Sorry...

DubR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit