Why no coverage of the Russian ban in the media?

by highdose 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lekore
    Lekore

Now that's persuasive.

om

---

It's not that I don't agree with how you see the religion, just that your using the wrong word for it. A 'cult' is a group of people who share knowledge/beliefs/practices to enrich the experience in the 'real world E.g. Yoga, Trancendental Meditation.'Wheras a 'sect' often removes individuals from the 'real world' and believes that they are the only 'true' way of life. E.g. Wako, JWs.

• cantleave
    cantleave

A 'cult' is a group of people who share knowledge/beliefs/practices to enrich the experience in the 'real world E.g. Yoga, Trancendental Meditation.

Lekore - I disagree! Read Steven Hassans books to find out why.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I really like the media response. No one's feeling sad for the witnesses (in the mainstream), no one seems to be crowing over the ban, either. The response is, "Who cares?"

Apathy is going to be the real killer of the WT faith. When no one loves them and no one hates them, what are they going to do?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

.... unleash a greater wave of religious intolerance ....

Pot, kettle, black

Lekore

It's not that I don't agree with how you see the religion, just that your using the wrong word for it. A 'cult' is a group of people who share knowledge/beliefs/practices to enrich the experience in the 'real world E.g. Yoga, Trancendental Meditation.'Wheras a 'sect' often removes individuals from the 'real world' and believes that they are the only 'true' way of life. E.g. Wako, JWs.

I would hazard a guess that you got that description from a member of a high control cult who was trying to 'polish the outside of his cup'.

Cheers

Chris

• Open mind
    Open mind

Lekore,

Perhaps there's a bit of a language or culture barrier here. If so, please bear with me while I point out what I take issue with.

First off, you come into a new community of posters and say "you must all".

It doesn't matter what comes after "you must all". Those words hit me as condescending, arrogant and controlling. I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, but that's how it reads to me. Especially when they are posted on a board of people who have left or are leaving a high-control religion like the JWs.

Second, the semantics surrounding the word "cult" have been debated to death on this board. To come on here and say that "your using the wrong word" is also hard to take. Especially on a word that is currently in flux as to its definition.

From dictionary.com:

1.a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3.the object of such devotion.
    4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5.Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
    6.a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
    7.the members of such a religion or sect.
    8.any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

–adjective

9.of or pertaining to a cult.
    10.of, for, or attracting a small group of devotees: a cult movie.

My Webster's has a similar list of definitions. I'm the first to admit that the dictionary's need to be updated and that the more negative definitions should be moved closer to the top of the list. But given that only 2 out of 10 of the definitions in the dictionary have negative connotations, do you see how your comment:

"your using the wrong word"

could be just a tad bit ire-raising?

All right. Enough grousing over choice of words.

Welcome again to the forum. I truly lo

• Open mind
    Open mind

*continuing my mini-rant/welcome*

I truly look forward to hearing more from you.

Best regards,

om

• sspo
    sspo

A few witnesses that i know are very excited about what's happening in Russia, once again thinking

this is the start of something BIG!

• blondie
  • wobble
    wobble

Thanks Blondie,

It has been covered then, about as much as you would expect for an insignificant little Cult.

I am sure the Dubs will feel that there is a media conspiracy not to give greater coverage, not thinking that the Media covers things people are interested in, and nobody cares about them except them.

Love

Wobble

• monophonic
    monophonic

i saw cbs news coverage.

why the director of knocking continues to misinform the public on jws just amazes me. he has no clue the only reason he's treated well is b/c he's not baptized and they're hoping he stops his wicked homosexuality. as far as they're concerned, he's dead at armageddon.

it's like a jew saying being a nazi isn't that bad, look at their health care plan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit