Why no coverage of the Russian ban in the media?

by highdose 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• highdose
    highdose

i mean not just in russia but world wide, wouldn't this be a great oppotunity to educate the public about this cult????

hint hint people with media contacts...

• dissed
    dissed

You have to wonder High dose, does it have anything to do with the end of the Cold War?

Each side couldn't wait to publisize something bad about their enemies. Now they don't care. Plus, its not like they are rounding up the JW's and sending them to Siberia.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Because nobody gives a shit about this tiny little nothing cult? I mean what they have 7 million members worldwide? Hell the baptist have that many in florida! They aren't even a blip, they don't matter to anyone but themselves (and us clearly!)

• highdose
    highdose

its a shame though, because although small the impact that this cult has on people is very big and very destructive. Shame theres not a reporter on this board who could find some "sexy" and "exciting" angle that would get it into the press...

• Gayle
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

This cult might have played a large part in our lives, but let us not forget that to the rest of the world it is just a small group of doomsday nutters.

Cheers

Chris

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Right. Why isn't this BIG NEWS?

It hardly makes sense!

LS

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Here's a quote! If you Google "Russia Jehovah's witnesses" lots of recent articles pop up, but mostly from the foreign press. Not US!! I wonder why?

I bet because the US doesn't want to spoil tentative relations with Russia with any civil rights issues right now, so this is being ignored. Still usually the WTS gets all the witnesses to write in to the consulate when their people are being persecuted but so far the WTS has been zippo!

This suggests the situation might be rather touchy. Maybe JWs at this point don't feel they have much public empathy with the "child abuse" and "blood" issues!!! But something is wrong. We can all see that. Here's a typical snippet.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are banned in China, parts of Africa and some former Soviet republics. As for Russia, some say it will be difficult to prove their guilt.

“Personally, I think Jehovah’s witnesses combine the worst features of an international corporation that exploits its own members, and a totalitarian state. But it’s hard to prove what current law they are breaking,” theologist Father Mikhail Plotnikov told RT.

From http://rt.com/Top_News/2009-07-13/Will_Jehovah_s_Witnesses_be_banned_in_Russia.html

LS

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well Joel Engardio who made the Knocking documentary has a piece in the Washington Post about the ban.

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2009/12/russias_ban_on_jehovahs_witnesses.html

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Because no one cares.

JWs are just a tiny blip on the radar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit