Were You Joyful When A Meeting Had To Be Canceled?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was never thrilled to have a meeting during inclement weather. If it was seriously snowing and the weatherman suggested to stay in because of the conditions, I rarely went to the meeting. Why take a chance, right? If it was icy and slippery---forget it! I lived outside the territory and my condo complex typically plowed much later than they should of. Sometimes I'd get raised eyebrows when I showed up for the next meeting but I didn't care.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It was like Christmas come early ('cept we didn't have Christmas )

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Absolutely!

It was even better than cancelling school

Of course, after we moved to California, I don't think any were actually cancelled.

-Aude.

• minimus
    minimus

No earthquake cancellations?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I used to phone the PO / COBE, during severly inclement weather, suggesting we cancel. I think he began to cotton on when I said maybe it was too hot on a glorious summers day!!!!!!!!

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I lived in Northern California in 1998 when the Loma Prieta earthquake happened the CO was really upset because many missed the meeting that night...HELLO! Some were stuck in traffic some were worried sick because their family members weren't home and they hadn't heard from them. He gave the whole lecture of the importance of being at the KH and how your not showing faith if your at home. My step father came home 4 hours late with stucco in his hair from the ceiling in his office.

• RickyCisco
    RickyCisco

Haha, this was the best. Getting all ready and almost out the door only to realize there was no meeting that night - it seemed the possibilities for fun that night were endless!

Towards the end of my JW career I used to skip meetings and meet everyone after at the applebees down the street. They would be all dressed up and I'd show up all grungy. They never really did seem to care...

• undercover
    undercover

Here in the South, winter weather is rare but on those occasions when they're calling for it, panic sets in and everyone rushes the grocery stores to stock up on enough food to last a week long blizzard. Schools are cancelled on the word of non too reliable weather forecasters, churches cancel their services, business go into 'snow plans', etc.

I laugh at my own kind as they panic on the possibility of an approaching snowstorm and marvel at how they close schools and churches before the first flake falls.

Yet the JWs go to the other extreme. They wait to the last possible minute before cancelling meetings. I remember the elders waiting an hour or two before the meeting to make a decision whether to cancel. Then they would scurry to call everyone. And the sheeple wait for that call...even if it's snowing an inch an hour, the roads are covered, if there is no call they assume the meeting is on and they'll attempt to make it to the hall. They're so controlled by the Society and their pyramid scheme of elders that they can't even use common sense enough to stay home during bad weather.

And it's not just snow and meetings. We recently had several days of torrential downpours and flash floods. It was absolutely miserable outside. Yet I had to drive the KH on the way to run an errand that Saturday morning and noticed dozens of cars in the parking lot. It took me back to those days of making myself get up in the extreme cold or the heavy rain and go out in service. How stupid is it to go door to door during flash floods?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Of course. My wife and I would both run to get our pajamas on for a relaxing night.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

OMG yes MIN! Good question. Those were the best. on snowy tuesday nights at about 5pm we would hover around the phone and wait for that joyous call from the BS conductor. It was especially great if I had a part on the SM or TMS. I hated parts and I dont care how much time I spent working on it, if I didn't have to get up there and fake a smile and enthusiasm because of 6" of snow, I was a happy man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit