Tangerine Dream play the Devil's Music

by HappyGuy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• four candles
    four candles

I did.....and so regret it now. But I have bought back a lot of stuff that went missing,including some Tangerine Dream.

I saw them twice at Manchester Apollo,astounding stuff.

For all prog fans try this http://powerofprog.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_invite_net.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Great website Four Candles. BTW - Have you always lived in wales? I think recognise your photos on Flippers post your photos thread.

• four candles
    four candles

Not always,had a spell in the late 80's,early nineties on Anglesey,been back in Mid Wales for the last 3 years.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

hey thanks guys - I've never heard of Tangerine Dream but just downloaded their 1974 album Phaedra (before I was born) and it's great!!

• purplesofa
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Tangerine Dream is awesome! I was introduced to their music in the movie 'The Keep'. It was amazing. Would love to get a DVD of that movie but they are hard to come by.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I never got to listen to - and enjoy - any of this sort of music when it was first released and new. I only discovered it much later in life - when I was no longer active. My daughter would want to go to a local second-hand CD store to purchase music she liked - and I would puruse the alternative jazz (or new age) sections. I have this CD in my collection, along with others like Patrick O'Hearn - Indigo, Yanni, Keiko Matsui, Jean-Michel Jarde - Oxygene, Kitaro, and others.

When I was still married to my first wife, who was/is a JW - I was listening to a lot of 'Easy Listening Jazz' locally on the radio, and this helped introduce me to a lot of new artists - like the above-mentioned ones. Another one - Enigma - and their 'Mea Culpa' from their MCMXC album was played a lot on the radio. This gal went out and bought me the CD for an anniversary present. I appreciated it a lot! I jokingly called it my 'demon music', as there are some other cuts on this CD that are very haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itkzaT9yk9Y&feature=related

Another Enigma cut - Return to Innocence - may be applied to us ex-JWs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ALElMLpRA

Lyrics :
    That's not the beginning of the end
    That's the return to yourself
    The return to innocence

Love, devotion
    Feeling, emotion
    Love, devotion
    Feeling, emotion

Don't be afraid to be weak
    Don't be too proud to be strong
    Just look into your heart, my friend
    That will be the return to yourself
    The return to innocence

If you want, then start to laugh
    If you must, then start to cry
    Be yourself, don't hide
    Just believe in destiny
    Don't care what people say
    Just follow your own way
    Don't give up and use the chance
    To return to innocence

That's not the beginning of the end
    That's the return to yourself
    The return to innocence

Don't care what people say
    Follow just your own way
    Don't give up, don't give up
    To return, to return to innocence

If you want, then laugh
    If you must, then cry
    Be yourself, don't hide
    Just believe in destiny

Listen to the song - and follow along with the lyrics... it is very haunting music... and very true.

Another artist that I 'discovered' when I was much younger - and worked in radio - was Mike Oldfield - who most people know for his 'Tubular Bells' album. I knew him for his 'Ommadawn' album - which I copied from the 33RPM LP - that was at work - and listened to on my cassette player - until I pretty much wore it out. (Music like that was always great - playing it with someone new around - and seeing their reactions)

Good Luck to everyone on their musical journey.

Regards,

Jim TX

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Jim,

I can remember where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard Mahavishnu Orchestra's Between Nothingness and Eternity. OMG. What amazing music.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I like Tangerine Dream; it's rather interesting the arc that project has had and the number of movie soundtracks that they've done.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Sorcerer is a 1977 action-adventure film, produced and directed by William Friedkin, starring Roy Scheider, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal and Amidou. It is a remake of the 1953 French film Le Salaire de la Peur (Wages of Fear).

Sorcerer is notable for its electronic score by Tangerine Dream, which was the group's first Hollywood film score and led to its becoming popular soundtrack composers of the '80s.

=====

So...not only debbil music, but just look at the title of their first film score!

This was my favorite TD "period", though I also liked the Babylon 5 stuff by Christopher Franke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit